Pool chemistry is good
Fc-6.0
Cc-0
Alkalinity-90
Ph-7.6 ish
Stabilizer 30
Ch-didn’t check but last time was fine
Water is crystal clear

I realize I asked a couple times but this is my last attempt to find out. I’m at a loss here. I slammed on 2 occasions. Passed the overnight loss test both times. On the second slam I left it on slam level for a few days even though I passed overnight test just for good measure. Very small green spots keep appearing on pool floor. None on walls or ladder. I do have leaves and dirt entering the pool on a daily basis from the trees. I vaccume every 3 days so leaves do sit for a couple days. The spots are easily taken care of with my feet. also back to the slamming. I did brush entire pool both times . Walked around slowly in pool to check every square inch . Despite all these efforts the spots come back. I did confirm a water test at a pool store and he said I probably had high phosphates. The test said I did not. Don’t think I had any phosphates. Sorry if this story is all over the place. I just want to solve this problem.
1. Should I try using algacide ?
2. is this algae I’m seeing ?
Please help me guys

Are you confident your FC stays above 3 ppm all the time? With an ABG pool, circulation can be an issue, do you brush regularly?

Sorry to hear about the recurring algae problem. Like a bad Groundhog Day scene. Well, perhaps the first thing to do is try to confirm (physically) if that stuff is indeed algae. Are you able to grab any of it with your thumb and index finger? Or does it dissipate as soon as you try to get it? If you are able to grab some, can you smear it on a white paper towel?

Leaves alone shouldn't be the cause just by sitting in the water for a day or two. If it is algae, I think of a hidden spot somewhere, however in an AGP, it's not like there are a ton of hiding places. No light niche, so the prime suspects would be hollow steps, a ladder, or perhaps liner wrinkles. A water test might be off, but I suspect you're a pro with the TF-100 by now. Maybe there is something environmentally unusually contributing to the problem, but I wouldn't rush to assume phosphates has anything to do with your recurring problem. In 99.9% of the cases, the FC/CYA ratio simply wasn't adequate. But let's see what you have to say about the questions presented so far and everyone will try to help.

Sorry to hear about the recurring algae problem. Like a bad Groundhog Day scene. Well, perhaps the first thing to do is try to confirm (physically) if that stuff is indeed algae. Are you able to grab any of it with your thumb and index finger? Or does it dissipate as soon as you try to get it? If you are able to grab some, can you smear it on a white paper towel?

Leaves alone shouldn't be the cause just by sitting in the water for a day or two. If it is algae, I think of a hidden spot somewhere, however in an AGP, it's not like there are a ton of hiding places. No light niche, so the prime suspects would be hollow steps, a ladder, or perhaps liner wrinkles. A water test might be off, but I suspect you're a pro with the TF-100 by now. Maybe there is something environmentally unusually contributing to the problem, but I wouldn't rush to assume phosphates has anything to do with your recurring problem. In 99.9% of the cases, the FC/CYA ratio simply wasn't adequate. But let's see what you have to say about the questions presented so far and everyone will try to help.
I just got rid of it today so I’ll have to wait till it reappears. Once I spot a peice I always wave my foot right above it to see if it moves. It usually Dosent and I have to actually touch it to get it off. Than it seems to disappear. Next time I’ll do the paper towel and smear test. My ladder was brand new this year and I filled the steps with water. I’ve never unbolted the ladder to inspect the back side of it. I guess their could be an issue I can’t see. My liner was installed crappy and theirs definitely creases and divots. I barely get any sun this time of year compared to earlier in the pool season it received alot of sun

The answer is always the same......you have had at some point inadequate chlorine. That's how algae gets in your pool.

Now, did it get there because you have some "dead spots" for circulation? I don't know. Did it get there because vacuuming every three days is not enough? I don't know. Did it get there because you are brushing once weekly? I don't know. Did it get there because you have some hidden spots that the chlorine can't get to? I don't know.

But I DO know that your pool is not being kept clean enough to prevent the formation of algae. My suggestion would be to start the SLAM again and follow the SLAM article religiously....pump 24/7 - filter, cleaned as needed - Replenish chlorine to SLAM value at least twice daily.....3-4 is even better - brush and vacuum more often than you are......keep the debris out of your pool. Stop the SLAM when you meet the three criteria for doing so.

Reactions: kplaster
And once you are completely done with the SLAM, I would consider changing your target FC. If you have truly kept it at a FC of 5, then I would shoot for a slightly higher target... say FC of 7. For a CYA of 30, the published target is 4-6, so a target of 7 is still below SLAM level and will hopefully help keep the algae away in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.