Cannot maintain chlorine

oldogface

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 22, 2010
Ridgeway, SC
OK, I think I may know where I am and what I need to do, but ask you experts for help...

FC - 1.0
PH - 7.5
TA - 110
CYA - 40 (added Pool Calculator recommended CYA 2 days ago)
CH - 300

I have a SWG. My daily tests of FC have not exceeded 1.5. I add Pool Calculator recommended amount of bleach each day, and, next morning, back to same low level. Is my SWG not generating chlorine (new cell last year - all lights green)? Do I need to wait for the CYA to stabilize and maintain with bleach, and then do chlorine demand test? Or, do I do chlorine demand now? I question because I believe the thought is that after adding CYA, it takes a week or so to get accurate readings?

Thanks in advance

Oldogface

oldogface said:
I have a SWG. My daily tests of FC have not exceeded 1.5. I add Pool Calculator recommended amount of bleach each day, and, next morning, back to same low level.

What is the Combined Chlorine? Perhaps something is consuming your chlorine. Happened to me. In which case, shock is the answer.

oldogface said:
Is my SWG not generating chlorine (new cell last year - all lights green)?

With Aqua Rite you can tell if it's generating chlorine by the bubbles coming out of the returns.

With a SWG, it is very important that the CYA level be correct. The recommended CYA level with a SWG is between 70 and 80. At significantly lower CYA levels, there is no way the SWG can keep up with the chlorine demand. Until your finish getting the CYA level up, you should manually add extra chlorine to help the SWG keep up.

I would suggest manually dosing your pool with liquid chlorine or bleach this evening and then doing an overnight FC loss test. Shut the SWCG off after the sun sets and check your FC. Then, check it again in the morning before the sun hits the water. If you lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight, you need to shock your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.