Cannot maintain any chlorine and pool water looks great????

May 17, 2018
Cartersville GA
I opened the pool a week ago and shocked it with Leslies Chlor Brite. Pool was a bit cloudy and had a LOT of earthworm/nightcrawler remains in the bottom. I added 2 chlorine tablets to the skimmer and the next morning I had 0 chlorine but the water was clearing up nicely. The pH was low so I added 6 boxes of Borax and got it to 7.5. I had to leave to go to Indiana for a few days so I added 4 lbs. of Chlor Brite and 4 chlorine tablets to the pool. When I got home yesterday morning 5/16/2018 the pool had 0 chlorine and the pH had dropped to 7.0 and the water looks very clean and clear. I added more Borax, 2 boxes. I took a sample to Leslie's and they tested and confirmed the 0 chlorine level, told me to shock again with 4 lbs of Chlor Brite and just keep adding more chlor brite when the chlorine gets below 1.
Here are the test results from Leslie's yesterday.
FAC 0
TAC 0
Calcium hardness 160 I added hardness increaser after this
CYA 50
TA 140
PH 7.7
Copper 0
Iron 0
TDSolids 0
Phosphates 250 I am currently running some Phos Free thru the filter to reduce this.

So yesterday at 5 pm I added 4 lbs of Chlor Brite shock and at 10 pm I had 0 free chlorine.

I found your site and just ordered a TF100 test kit.

Any ideas on getting the pool to hold the pH and maintain chlorine would be appreciated. I have had this pool for 23 years and have never seen this before.
Hopefully the test kit will arrive soon.Thanks for any help.
John

Welcome!

The calicum increser just separated you from your money as you have a vinyl pool.

We typically don't use solid forms of clorine as they are unsustainable for a pool, and pool store testing is a total joke at best.

Best thing you can do is add about 1/2 - 1 gallon if regular bleach (no cloromax) a day till your kit comes, test your water with cta being the most important here, then slam the pool. This is a scientific method, the success rate is nearly 100% if you follow directions.

Another Welcome! You're on the right track to a healthier, more affordable pool!

I highly suspect the CYA result with so many pucks & tablets being added.

Use PoolMath to figure out how much LIQUID chlorine/bleach to add FC 5 per day until your test kit arrives.

In the meantime, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] -> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry -> SLAM Process = Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

OK, I added bleach daily to 5ppm FC. The pool was starting to hold some chlorine overnight.
I got the TS100 test kit on Saturday and my CYA was almost 90 so I decided to lower it by pumping out half the pool water and starting fresh.
I just got the pool refilled and I adjusted the pH and tested the water and here is where I am.

CYA = 35
daily chlorine test showed between 2-3. I haven't added any bleach since Saturday
CL drop test = 2.0
CC = 0.5
pH = 7.5
calcium hardness = 150
total alkalinity = 80.

If I hold chlorine to 1.0 or above overnight should I change out the DE and do the slam or just change DE and shock it and see how it goes from here. Water is real clear and bright. Filter pressure is running about 7psi above normal.

Guidance is appreciated.

If your water is clear, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Tomorrow early evening raise your FC to 6 or 7 ppm. Be sure it is well circulated. Test to confirm the FC. In the morning, before the sun hits the pool, test FC. If it is 5 or above, no SLAM needed.

If you fail the OCLT, then prepare to SLAM Process.

Take care.

Thanks for all the help.
Last night I added bleach and waited 45 minutes and FC was at 6. This morning at sunrise it is at 5.5 so I assume no slam.
As long as my CYA is at 40 where do I need to keep the chlorine level for pool maintenance? Do I need to hold it at 5? That seems so high compared to what I have done over the past 20+ years.
With this nature II cartridge I have always ran around 1.0 on chlorine and added 3 bags of shock every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for all the help.
Last night I added bleach and waited 45 minutes and FC was at 6. This morning at sunrise it is at 5.5 so I assume no slam.
As long as my CYA is at 40 where do I need to keep the chlorine level for pool maintenance? Do I need to hold it at 5? That seems so high compared to what I have done over the past 20+ years.
With this nature II cartridge I have always ran around 1.0 on chlorine and added 3 bags of shock every 2-3 weeks.

No more shock =) Pool School - Getting Started

Every day (until you learn your pool's needs), you'll check your FC and for a CYA of 40 add LIQUID BLEACH per PoolMath based on the recommended levels here [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] (CYA/40 suggested don't let FC fall below 3 and safe to swim between 5-16, with a daily target of 5-7 "ideal")

These levels provide the constant protection to prevent algae outbreaks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the help. I will proceed as directed above. Great forum.

- - - Updated - - -

So when I leave for vacation in a couple of weeks is it OK to use chlorine pucks to maintain chlorine while I am gone? I do not have an automatic Cl addition. My daughter typically comes over every 3-4 days and checks chemicals and bumps the filter until we get home.

Using the pucks during a vacation is great. You simply test the CYA and other parameters when you return and be sure to adjust FC based on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

The Nature II adds copper too. You really do not want that. Stains the pool surfaces and turns blonde hair green.

Take care.

Thanks for the help. I will proceed as directed above. Great forum.

- - - Updated - - -

So when I leave for vacation in a couple of weeks is it OK to use chlorine pucks to maintain chlorine while I am gone? I do not have an automatic Cl addition. My daughter typically comes over every 3-4 days and checks chemicals and bumps the filter until we get home.

You're welcome and glad to have you!

Sounds good! Would she be interested in the simpler TFP methods for you? ;)

I also want to add that the pucks are acidic and they will make your pH drop. ;)

Plan ahead, when you know your going on vacay leave your cya a little low, around 10 less (ex 40 instead of 50) PoolMath has effects of adding chems at the bottom, fill your gallons at the top and put in 8oz tri clor and see what a puck does. Make sure the puck is 99%+ tri clor

Liquid Chlorine or a SWCG is the only sustainable daily maintenance mode for a pool. The use of solid chlorine products for short duration's can be managed, if necessary.

Shock is not in our vernacular. It is not a process to achieve anything. If necessary, you follow the SLAM process to rid your pool of organic material.

- - - Updated - - -

Also beware of the Nature II thing shown in your signature. Remove the metal cartridge. It is adding copper to your water which will build in your water and cause staining and turn blonde hair green.

Thanks again for great info. One last question regarding daily/weekly maintenance when I am at home and not traveling. Is liquid bleach the preferred method for maintaining my chlorine level and shocking vs. pucks and chlorine granules?

Yes, plain old liquid bleach (no scent, easy pour, splashless or chloromax), or better yet, liquid chlorine (sometimes called liquid shock). It's more concentrated (10.0% or 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite vs. 6% or 8.25%), so you use less, and is thus often cheaper. You will use half as much 12.5% liquid chlorine as you would of 6% bleach to get the same result.

Reserve the pucks for when you're away. They're a great way to gradually add chlorine over time, with the catch that they also add CYA. This is why you can't use them all the time, and should stick to liquid chlorine when you're there to add it. I have a 2.5 week trip coming up later this summer, but my CYA is at 30, so I can safely throw a bunch of pucks in the automatic feeder before I leave, and I'll be fine.

Knowing exactly what you are doing to your water is the perferd method here, why we stress testing.

As a broad brush this typically involves using bleach and muratic acid only. Your pool will vary and you will find what it needs. Keep posting, we will help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.