Can you run any pool cleaning robot out of the water?

dgreenb

Feb 9, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We're midway through our pool build, and our pool builder included the Pentair Prowler 920 robot. But, I'd prefer not to leave it in the pool all day. So I imagine yanking it out emptying the bin, then manually dropping it back in when I think it should run again. Or... could I just leave it by the side of the pool so it would run straight forward and fall in when the timer function tells it to? I could see that running the pump dry might be bad, although it wouldn't be for very long... unless it uses the water pressure to drive the wheels. Then my brilliant idea is garbage. Is it?

Also, why is there no robot that gets reeled up by its cord when the job is done and dropped back in when it's time to go again? I'm willing to accept royalties for the idea.

This is not advisable. It would probably not hurt "most" robots I know mine does not use water power to drive the wheels. And with mine having 4 wheels instead of tracks, it could possibly get stuck (high center) when it got to the pool edge. A tracked robot probably would go in. And it does use water power to be able to climb walls and such. The impeller that forces water through the filter basket probably should not be run dry for too long. I put my robot in as needed probably once or twice a week. I really dislike going to houses with pools and their robot is permanently in the water. That mostly applies to the water powered ones. They are always swimming with the robot. My instructions say not to leave the robot in the pool long term yet the robot has a programmable feature to scheduled cleanings which makes no sense at all. I remove it every single time it finishes, empty the filter out, rinse it off, and put it away under my deck next to the pool. It takes all of 5 minutes to do that. My robot was $1500 so I really want it to last. I can already see the floating cord starting to deteriorate from being in the water. A new cord is $250. It'll last a few more seasons I suspect but for sure would not last as long if it stayed in the water all the time. I know you want to just leave your ready to drive into the pool but if you got that far, may as well just throw it in when ready.

I leave the Warrior SI in 24/7 during the pool season. I think it’s way safer there than on the deck or the pool box, and it’s no worse for wear. I leave it on a pool seat and when I want to run it (and I run it a lot) I just push the button.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.