Can you run a cartridge filter with only 1 cartridge?

Joshii

Jul 15, 2013
Cleaning cartridges is a PITA! For spring opening, I would love to be able to run my filter with just one of the 4 cartridges until the pool is clean. Then I can take apart the filter and only have to clean out 1 cartridge. Has anyone done this? How would you do this?

HeyEng

Silver Supporter
Nov 7, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
Cleaning cartridges is a PITA! For spring opening, I would love to be able to run my filter with just one of the 4 cartridges until the pool is clean. Then I can take apart the filter and only have to clean out 1 cartridge. Has anyone done this? How would you do this?
I have (but haven't used) one of these that is recommended by a few folks here...sure seems like it could help make the task a little easier.

Joshii

Jul 15, 2013
I have (but haven't used) one of these that is recommended by a few folks here...sure seems like it could help make the task a little easier.
I have one of those. It's ... okay. It doesn't make a very long, wet, tedious job a pleasant one. Maybe just slightly less long. Thanks though, appreciate it.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
If you run your filter with one cartridge you may as well not have any in it. All the flow will go through the internal ports that do not have the cartridges installed.