Can you plug a 12v light into any 12v transformers?

Draddy

Apr 11, 2019
Boca raton
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
The light in your link is 12v AC, most landscape light transformers are 12v DC. Check to see what your current transformer is AC or DC. I don't think they make a bridge rectifier that goes from DC to AC, only AC to DC.

There are specific building code requirements for pool light transformers. It is about safe guards in the transformer design. The landscape transformer likely does not have the proper circuit protection. Check out the Boca building code for pools

Some may say that as long as you have a GFCI in front of the transformer you'd be good. Not true. The GFCI breaker wont protect the secondary voltage side of the transformer.

D,

All the landscape lighting I have seen is 12 Volts AC.. "Transformers" only provide an AC output..

Technically, Pool Transformers are made so that the Primary can't short over to the secondary side.. They are certified to be used for swimming pool use. While the likelihood of failure is remote, I would not want to swim in a pool using a none pool-rated transformer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Super helpful, thank you all! I didn’t realize it was such a specific code/requirement/whatever area. Will get a pool specific transformer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.