Can This Pump Do It

wireform

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
Pool in question isn't the pool in signature.
Dealing with AG 27ft pool approximately 7200 gallons. Was closed for 2 years. Had the op remove cover, drain swamp and clean the liner with brush and detergent and call me back after the refill. Well he called me back after pool went green so I'm not sure how well it was cleaned. Short story is there's green sludge on the pool floor and tried vacuuming the traditional way through the skimmer port. Never liked the filter pump set up but this is what they have. Filter is an Hayward Perflex EC50AC and pump is Hayward Powerflo LX model SP1510Z1XBC.
Vacuuming pools is nothing new to me but this one won't take no matter what I do. I have the return to the pool valved off and the backwash port full open and with the vac hose fully primed it seems this pump can't get it going. I'm not sure if the pump has a issue but it's very strong when it's filtering back to the pool. Any advice or is this not possible with this pump filter setup.

AJ,
Thanks, I could have vacuumed returning water to pool but figured it would clog very fast and would need to regenerate a million times. I could try it but can't see why there would be more suction this way. This in my mind is no different then vacuuming to waste when there's a mpv. This pool is in slam but can't proceed till the algae is out of the pool bottom.
Thinking maybe op's vac hose is restricted with a clog and thats my issue too because I have very strong suction at the port in skimmer.

Gotta be something with the hose or fittings. I would agree with your line of thinking shouldnt matter if it's to waste or returns as long as pump isnt cavitating. Can you start it going back to pool amd switch over in process the way its setup?

I'm going to head over to the pool soon. Had a brain storm thinking about this. I've never been to this pool up until week ago. Using someone else's pool equipment always sets you up for a challenge and my equipment is in my truck which I don't have with me this weekend. Maybe and just maybe the the darn vac hose is clogged sitting under the pool deck for 2 years.... have another hose and will try. Will keep you guys updated. Thanks for all.

The verdict is in. The op's hose had a clog and also had a stone lodged in the stem of the vacuum head so between the two I had nothing. I vacuumed and had good suction either way I used the filter whether backwash or back through the return was the same difference. Thanks to all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.