Can this be repaired (backwash valve fitting)

Hawkline

Aug 19, 2020
Dallas, TX
I've developed a bit of a crack running through the screwhole pictured (only when pump runs - a few drops per minute). I think that since this is on the pressure side, i'm going to have to replace, but is there anything i could try first to see if i can fix this? Otherwise, i think it's gonna be a doozy (will have to call someone).

pvcleak.jpg

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Is it that tiny crack by that screw? If so, I don't see any good repair options. Anything you apply will probably just get pushed-out by the water pressure. You have the option of trying a hardening epoxy product as a last-ditch effort, but the concern with any cracks on the pressure side is future rupture while you're away from home and the system runs dry. There's also a safety factor is it splits and anyone is nearby. So keep that in mind. Lots of pressure. When you do decide to replace it, you might consider a multiport valve instead so you have more versatility.

Yurij

Aug 19, 2020
Warren, NJ
I've developed a bit of a crack running through the screwhole pictured (only when pump runs - a few drops per minute). I think that since this is on the pressure side, i'm going to have to replace, but is there anything i could try first to see if i can fix this? Otherwise, i think it's gonna be a doozy (will have to call someone).

View attachment 158848
Try JB Water weld. (See attached) You may be able to squeeze another season or two for a $7 investment. Youtube videos will tell you how to effectively apply this to fix the issue. YOu're working on the presssure side which is always a pain! Good Luck!

Attachments

workedonthousandsofpools

In The Industry
Jan 9, 2020
Phoenix
Those Pentair/Pac-Fab valve bodies are known to develop cracks in that area, so its quite common, that's about as bad as they get, so don't concern yourself with potential catastrophic failure, there's nothing unsafe or dangerous about it now, or anytime down the road.

Even if you installed a new valve, the same thing could easily happen again, that's how common it is to see, especially when you've seen as many as I have over 30 years.