Can someone recommend a timer

lbulmer

Jul 17, 2010
Orlando, Fl
Can someone recommend a timer for our above-ground pool? It's running a Hayward 1hp pump and we're going to add an Intex SWG to it. A while ago, I bought an Intermatic from Home Depot that said it was for pools, but the thing caught fire, and we ended up having to replace the pump.

Thanks!

lbulmer

Jul 17, 2010
Orlando, Fl
It was an inexpensive one, and although it said it was for pools, it may have been for smaller ones. It was just a plug-in timer, and the pumped plugged into it. It wasn't hardwired.

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Oh, OK. A plug-in timer, as in a little box that plugs into the wall with switches on it? That's strange that it would be recommended for pools...those things aren't made to handle much juice.

An intermatic mechanical timer like this is what many people (including myself) use.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
While the Intermatic mechanical timers are the Mac-Daddy of pool timers, I've been running an electronic Intermatic timer for over a year starting our 1½hp pump 3 times a day and it's held up well so far. I'm not sure how it'd hold up with a pump and SWCG though.

You need to look for one that's rated in hp to match your pump. That way you'll know it's designed to handle starting your pump.

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
I have a TORK hard wired before the GFI. PB got it at Lowe's I think. Price was about 85.00

lbulmer

Jul 17, 2010
Orlando, Fl
How about the Hayward Timer Microprocessor SP1500FT? Anyone have any experience with it? We have a Hayward pump that it would work on.

Durk

Jun 14, 2007
New Jersey
I have been using Intermatic mechanicals since 1970. They are really reliable. I have had them fried due to lightning, and all I had to do was swap the clock motor. (Don't believe that stuff about it doesn't strike twice.) Try that with a digital!