Can opening in early spring harm my plumbing? (Located in northern WV)

sambot

Jun 1, 2018
WV
Hi there! We have had a VERY mild winter here in the northern panhandle of WV and my pool is already very green. I am itching (like a lot of other people) to open very early this year, mostly because last year I waited until end of May and it took me 2-3 weeks to get the water clear.

My question is, will opening this early likely harm my plumbing/pool in anyway? What temps are bad for the pool?

I have no experience with opening/closing since we keep our pools open year round, but the only real danger would be freezing pipes.

In Dallas, we get down into the 20's and some years even in the teens and my pool does just fine using the freeze guard to keep the pump going when the air temps get below freezing. As long as you are prepared to run the pump during freezing weather, I would say open away and start tackling the green.

On another note, I think you can add liquid chlorine to a closed pool as long as you brush/stir the pool afterwards. Open or close, I would try to get some chlorine in there to help keep the green from getting worse.

Reactions: sambot
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.