Can massive amounts of chlorine cause false PH readings?

Aleforge

Well-known member
May 31, 2014
239
Wentzville, MO
I shocked my pool with a good amount of chlorine and went ahead and tested the PH about 30 minutes after to see if I would need to raise it. As of last night the PH was reading 6.8, right now it's possibly a bit higher than 8.2. I used standard plain old shock without any "additives".

Is there a possibility that I took it way too soon and got a false reading? I have never had my PH jump so high after shocking before. I only had to deal with adding acid once in the past 4-5 years.