Can I wait to replace a seal assembly?

haybird

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Ontario
Hello,

I have a Hayward Northstar 1hp pump. Its on its 4th season, and I have a small leak near the rear of the pump. I am thinking I need to replace the seal assembly. We only have about 6 weeks left in the season. Can I wait to replace then, or do I risk further damage?
Thanks for any advice!!

Thanks for the replies!!!
That's what I was kinda thinking, just wanted to confirm. I checked out the youtube links provided in another thread. I was just wondering about disconnecting the hoses. On the northstar is the union kit a made easy disconnect? It looks like a quick coupler type thing for easy disconnecting.
Thanks

I don't know your exact set up, but I replaced a seal in my pool pump a few weeks ago and it was an easy task. It had been leaking for a while and what put me off was I thought I would have to start cutting piping to get the pump out. No, no no. It was all held together by a metal band and the pump and all associtaed parts dismantled easily. It was way easier to replace this seal than the one in the small polaris pump. I would definitely want to replace it if you have the time. Make sure you have the service manual. Probably available by pdf download if you do not have it.
Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.