Can I use the water out of my sump pit...

cwsosby

May 12, 2022
Polk City, IA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a whole lot of water I pump to waste from my pool sump pit and thought, why not. Took a sample to the University and it tested fine for bacteria, etc. Used it to fill my pool when it got low and it threw all my #'s off. So I tested the sump water & it tested over 1k for calcium hardness (CH). This doubled the CH in my pool, which is not an easy fix unless you drain and refill. After several months, I retested and the calcium hardness in the sump pit and it's no longer as high, actually about 1/3 of what it was. This was a brand new build when I initially did this, so I will test again next year and probably be able to use this water. I have pumped 1000's of gallons to waste out of this sump pit and it makes me sick with the price of water around here. Just making an assumption, but the new crushed rock used for surrounding the pool probably had a lot to do with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have a hard thought about using non-potable water to fill my pool. With surface water, a bacteria test is not a closed-systems test, it's only reliable for that one day's sample. With wells, you bacteria test to make sure the envelope has not been breached. With surface water, you are naked with no envelope protection.

Not sure I'd use sump pit water to put back in the pool.
Maybe consider using it for irrigation - grass, plants.

I have a whole lot of water I pump to waste from my pool sump pit and thought, why not. Took a sample to the University and it tested fine for bacteria, etc. Used it to fill my pool when it got low and it threw all my #'s off. So I tested the sump water & it tested over 1k for calcium hardness (CH). This doubled the CH in my pool, which is not an easy fix unless you drain and refill. After several months, I retested and the calcium hardness in the sump pit and it's no longer as high, actually about 1/3 of what it was. This was a brand new build when I initially did this, so I will test again next year and probably be able to use this water. I have pumped 1000's of gallons to waste out of this sump pit and it makes me sick with the price of water around here. Just making an assumption, but the new crushed rock used for surrounding the pool probably had a lot to do with this.
Don't need to remove water from the sump if not draining the pool.

For years it was common practice in many areas to have the fire department come out and fill your pool from a nearby hydrant as they have to clear those lines periodically anyway. It always seemed to surprise pool owners with the amount of problems, stains, etc. they had by using water that had been sitting in steel pipes for months or years, and not just the amount of rust that used to be in the initial water flow.

Even using potable well water has its own set of problems. What about water that has been sitting underground soaking who knows what into it.

Why are you pumping water out of the sump pit if you are not planning to drain?
Well, I am brand new to the pool game and thought that having water continuously sitting under and around the pool would eventually lead to settling and other issues. Is this not the case? Because my sump pump runs several times a day right now and I would love to not deal with that. Or I should say me neighbors down stream would love to not deal with it.

Don't need to remove water from the sump if not draining the pool.

For years it was common practice in many areas to have the fire department come out and fill your pool from a nearby hydrant as they have to clear those lines periodically anyway. It always seemed to surprise pool owners with the amount of problems, stains, etc. they had by using water that had been sitting in steel pipes for months or years, and not just the amount of rust that used to be in the initial water flow.

Even using potable well water has its own set of problems. What about water that has been sitting underground soaking who knows what into it.
That makes sense, I just thought filling the pool with the water vs letting it sit around and under the pool to create issues would be a better alternative. Or does it not create the issues of settling I am worried about? Obviously filling the pool with it did not work out. Just seemed like it would be better for the area to pump it to waste vs just letting it sit there for long periods of time?

Well, I am brand new to the pool game and thought that having water continuously sitting under and around the pool would eventually lead to settling and other issues. Is this not the case? Because my sump pump runs several times a day right now and I would love to not deal with that. Or I should say me neighbors down stream would love to not deal with it.
I think then, the most beneficial use for that water is to plumb pump and discharge to an irrigation line and sprinkler heads for a part of your lawn/landscape that could use it. I have a pit I monitor and have not committed to making a pump pit, but I also know here during wet season with clay soil and decking, I could be pumping water off for a long time and would probably make little dent in the overall around pool. The soil is just too slow at drainage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.