Can I use Cal Hypo?

V.Todd

Jul 8, 2019
Oxford, Mississippi
Moved from here.
I have had a difficult season with algae this year...there is a tall cedar tree about 16 ft. from the pool..could that be it..I didn't have this problem last year. should I use something besides 10% liquid chlorine (that is all I used in the past) to shock as it takes a couple of times to get the green out. I was reading the previous post about Cal-Hypo. Would that be a better option.
Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved from here.
I have had a difficult season with algae this year...there is a tall cedar tree about 16 ft. from the pool..could that be it..I didn't have this problem last year. should I use something besides 10% liquid chlorine (that is all I used in the past) to shock as it takes a couple of times to get the green out. I was reading the previous post about Cal-Hypo. Would that be a better option.
Thank you in advance for your input.
If you’re following the TFP protocol then you should be adding some kind of chlorine every day. “Shocking” it once a week isn’t something that’s needed when following TFP methods. Using liquid chlorine or a saltwater chlorine generator is the most predictable way to add chlorine.
Cal hypo is ok as long as your calcium hardness isn’t too high. But if you use it for long, eventually the calcium hardness will be good high. Kind of a vicious circle.

If you have visible algae you need to do the SLAM Process until u meet all 3 end of slam criteria. Liquid chlorine is best to do this with as it only raises free chlorine & not other parameters (cal hypo will raise ch) - it is most economical as well.
too little ch in a vinyl pool is of no consequence but too much can cause problems.
You need a proper test kit to perform a slam - tf100 from www.tftestkits.net
or taylor k2006c.
We can help u along the process after u post your results with your kit.
If you don’t have one yet add 5ppm of liquid chlorine per day until it arrives to keep things from getting worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.