Can I Shock and use Polyquat 60 at the same time?

CoolHome

Jun 6, 2020
Crawfordsville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Time to close the pool! Water temp finally dropped below 60 and looks like we'll start getting some freezing overnight temperatures soon. The pool has been covered for the last month but I've kept the pump running, I did SLAM when I first covered it as I found a bit of algae trying to take hold under the seams of the liner bottom. It took 3 days for the FC to quit dropping then it stayed high for a long time before slowly drifting down to a 6 where it has stayed. Last year I added Polyquat 60 and don't remember for sure what I did with the FC, but I think it was at recommended levels, not shock level. I'm just wondering if I can do both – shock level FC and Polyquat 60 for extra protection? Or if they don't play well together.

I do use a mesh cover so I get fine debris from leaves in the pool. Last summer I didn't have a chance to open in April when it started warming so I peeled back the cover and mixed in some Chlorine. The pool was dirty when opening, but not green and looked perfect after a few vacuums. We get a lot of leaves and tons of rain in the fall and spring and I'd rather deal with a bigger clean-up at opening then mess with it at all in the winter, so the mesh cover worked good.

Current levels are:

Temp: 55'
CYA 40
FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.6

From Algaecide - Further Reading

If you raise your water to SLAM FC level then you should let the FC drift down before adding Polyquat 60. Having a moderately higher level (½ SLAM level so the FC/CYA ratio of 20%) is okay as well. The idea is that the Polyquat should last through the winter even if the chlorine does not.

Reactions: CoolHome
I went to drain the pool a bit yesterday and add ploy-60 and saw some green in the glass of the sand tank. So I SLAMMED the pool and then backwashed some to get chlorine in there. Then it rained a ton which diluted the chlorine so I had to add more. I’ve got one more night then it’s going to start freezing overnight so I doubt the chlorine will fall enough in time to reach half of SLAM.

I guess I’m back to wondering if it’s ok to add the Algeacide with high chlorine levels or if it’s pointless and I should just make sure it’s at SLAM and close.

Add the PQ60 regardless of your Fc level. It can only help and not hurt.

Reactions: CoolHome
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.