Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I know chlorine degrades. I have 2 jugs of it left. I have a SWG so I don't use it much, my salt is low and since we are closing soon I've been using liquid chlorine. I already paid for closing so the chlorine they will dump in is covered. if I keep it all winter, will it be any good for pool care in May when we re open?

Assuming you're storing it at room temp (say 70F), 8 months would see it degrade to about half its current strength (usual disclaimer about failing math etc..)

See the chart here

• Haha
Reactions: joonbug99
am I better off just dumping it in?
I have 4 gallons left and am wondering the same thing. Thinking I should just dump it in but I seem to recall that it wouldn’t help get me through the winter. Something about the chlorine being that high it would just dissipate that much quicker. However, I’m not bringing it in my house so if I don’t dump it in the pool, it’s likely to freeze and be worthless by next spring anyway. Looking for help with the decision.

I have 4 gallons left and am wondering the same thing. Thinking I should just dump it in but I seem to recall that it wouldn’t help get me through the winter. Something about the chlorine being that high it would just dissipate that much quicker. However, I’m not bringing it in my house so if I don’t dump it in the pool, it’s likely to freeze and be worthless by next spring anyway. Looking for help with the decision.
It takes really cold temperatures to freeze bleach. Like 5 degrees F. For a sustained period. We got to zero here for like a week last year & mine never froze. I store it outside under the deck.
But I know it’s colder up there so ymmv.

In Michigan it will certainly be below freezing. There’s been years where it probably didn’t get into single digits, but mid winter, it’s not uncommon. Then, of course, there’s been brutal winters where it gets below zero. So one never knows.

Reactions: SJPoe
I always toss a few tablespoons into the bleach dispenser when doing a white wash, especially sheets and towels, socks and the like.
Its also good to use on shower curtain liners, bathmats, tub mats ect when washing.
Diluted bleach is great for your kitchen sponges and rags. Bleaches tea and coffee stains out of mugs.

Its handy stuff.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.