can i run my pump if the water level is below returns if i only use the main drain

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I need to do some testing for a leak. I have a pool that will allow me to shut off all suction except from the main drain. Is it a problem if I drop the water level below the returns. I am thinking that if I do that and run the pump the water will just flow out of the returns and waterfall back into the pool.

I only plan to do this for a few days so that I can test if there is leaking from the returns then I would fill it back up or close the pool for the rest of the winter. Am i wrong, is this a bad idea?

Should not be an issue. But I would keep a real close eye on it -- could be bad if you lose suction from the main drain. Doubt it would happen though. I just have never used only main drain except during very short periods that I was present.

Take care.

I run my main drain only a lot when the water is low and near the skimmer and i need to fill up and I never lose suction but I have never done it when it is down below the returns.

I will try this weekend and make sure i stick around and check on it a lot.
Thanks

ttc,

I agree with Marty.... As the water gets lower and lower it gets harder and harder for the pump to lift the water up. As long as you don't have any suction side air leaks and you don't let the level get really low, you should not have an issue.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.