Can I run a VS pump "old school" - as in with mechanical timers?

Chuckiechan

Jun 10, 2014
Roseville, CA
I'm looking at a 1.5 hp Pentair VS pump, and I would like to replace my old pump without buying a new electronic interface. I'm considering a 1.5 hp model#342001

My setup today is:
My pump runs on a timer
My SWG runs on a time withing the running time of the pump. (the SWG timer is set trip on and off only when the pump runs)
MY solar water is controlled by a thermostat that automatically turns the pump on independently.

I'd like to use the VSP the same way. I want to have the manual switch turn it on, have it ramp up for a minute, then cycled down the power saver rpm I set it at.

Is this doable?

What solar controller do you have? For example, I have a Pentair Solar Touch which works fine with my Pentair Intelliflo Pump. Other than the solar override, the pump is controlled by its own on board timer. I left the SWG on the old school mechanical timer, and just set it fo a time when I knew that Pump would be on.

Chuck,

The Pentair SuperFlo does have a way to control the speeds it runs by using an external relay. The pump supplies 5 VDC and you can run it through four different relays and select 4 different speeds.

I'm not sure it will do exactly what you want, but it should be close.

I see no reason to start and stop the pump using an external timer... :confused:

If the pump is running, the external inputs will change the speed.. I am not sure if the pump will start up if not already running, if you send it an external input.

I'll see if I can get one of the pump owners to chime in...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don’t know about the SuperFlo, but you can do it with the IntelliFlo. Just set the pump for Manual operation. No external control needed. I ran mine this way for years using a mechanical timer until I upgraded to EasyTouch.

Select a speed for each of the speed buttons and you’ll have the flexibility of VS. When power is applied, the pump will prime and then return to the most recently used speed.

Re: Can I run a VS pump "old school" - as in with mechanical timers?

rjs,

The problem I see is that he wants the pump to come on when his solar system kicks in... so somehow you need to tell the pump that the solar is on and that you want the pump to run at solar speed, which I suspect is much different than SWCG speed.

Not impossible, I'm sure, but I can't see it at the moment.

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I read, he wants this to happen automatically with the equipment he has. He does not want to manually adjust the pump via the pump's controller.

That’s why we need to know what solar controller he is using. If it’s a Pentair, it should be compatible.

Sooo, the superflo VS pump needs the "optional data input cable" to receive any outside control inputs. The data input cable is for relay inputs only.

There is no solar controller made that will directly interface digitally with the pump. You must use some sort of relay as an input signal.

The first thing that Chuck wants to do is easy. The pump can be programed to run as many hours a day he wants it to run at slow speed and then speed up to the SWG speed for as much tames as he needs to make chlorine. No need to change how the timer for the SWG is wired.

Automatically boosting speed for the solar panels that gets more tricky. You will need to utilize some sort of relay output from the solar controller to send a signal to the pump to change speeds. Its not super complicated but if you aren't familiar with relay and wiring it's going to be very confusing and there is potential to fry your pump if you get it wrong.

I have my superflo pump set up this way with both ad-hoc wifi control and a home built solar controller. It works great and has survived just short of 2 seasons now without a hitch.

My Pentair SolarTouch controller simply trips a relay in the Pentair Intelliflo Pump, that ramps the speed up to a setting (External 2) which is preprogrammed on the pump. And yes, it uses two wires in that “data communications cable” to do that. The SolarTouch and Intelliflo were designed to work together. I believe it would also work with the Pentair SuperFlo.

The SolarTouch controller costs $250 and it includes 2 temperature sensors, the solar valve and power actuator. Everything needed for a solar system except the panels and plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Pentair Solar Touch controller simply trips a relay in the Pentair Intelliflo Pump, that ramps the speed up to a setting (External 2) which is preprogrammed on the pump. And yes, it uses two wires in that “data communications cable” to do that.

Chief,

The OP wants to use the SuperFlo VS, which does not have an RS-485 connector.. Sad and hard to believe, but true.. Why make a pump that can't be controlled by your own automation.. :confused:

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.