Can I just drop the chlorine bottles in the water?

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I love TFP and the clean TFP method because it keeps my water so consistent. What I don't love is ruining clothes with little bleach spots because I am in a hurry. I often forget to put in the bleach and get dressed for work. I then remember the bleach and slowly pour in the bleach in front of one of the returns. Usually no problem, but it only takes once. One splash coming off the container when I pull off the seal, on chug that makes a bit of a splash and a few days later the little spots appear.

Today I dropped the bleach jug in the water to see what would happen. I swam down and I could see the bleach slowly coming out. Is it a problem to just drop the jug in the pool, let it sink and sit on the bottom for a while and then pull it out later and make sure all the bleach got out?

Please say "Yes, this is a GREAT idea"

Seems like a good idea to me, If you need that much bleach and you have enough water movement as not to create extended periods of high FC in one area. But I'm a noob...

What Marty said.
If you have a return that sweeps the steps, you might get away with placing the open jug on the step that will have the opening below the water level but in the jet stream.

I do have a step right below my return, I may try that. It isnt something that I would do every time, just maybe when I am rushing to work and plan to come home to swim at lunch. I could also drop it in at different locations to distribute it.
Based on what you guys are saying I think I will do it when I am dressed for work or have on some new shorts I don't want to ruin. Then I will do my regular pour out at the other times.

If you could set the jug upright on the step, it should slowly disburse. I would do it while you can monitor it the first time and see what happens. The top of jug, the opening, needs to be a few inches below the waterline.

EDIT -- see post #4 above --

Last edited:
Most of my frustration is with the seals under the caps- the solution is to remove them all on a day when u have on pool clothes / flip flops 🩴 & shorts etc.
as for the pouring- float the jug in the pool before/ while pouring, this way any splashing or drips are in the pool then u can cap the bottle & rinse it off in the pool.
I only have very few clothes with bleach stains on them anymore. Most were from trichlor anyway & they’re long gone.

Reactions: an1vrsy and Newdude
With bleach being heavier than water, I doubt it would disburse from the jug very well. What does come out would sink to the floor without good circulation.

I’m with JamesW on this one. 👎

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, looking at SWG now. I agree that this is really the best solution to avoiding bleach splatter. Alas, I am one of the strange folk that actually like the crisp feel of the chlorine over the more silky feel fo the salt.

I also like Mdragger88's comment. The seals is where i get most my little splatters now. Doing 10-15 jugs at a time might be a good compromise.

Reactions: Newdude
If the bleach splashes AT ALL while you are pouring, I think there is something amiss with your technique.

What works for me is submersing the jug 95% into the pool water and then tipping slowly. The distance from mouth of the bleach bottle to the surface of the pool is perhaps 1/2 inch. Slowly increase the tilt angle as the bleach leaves the bottle but do not increase the length between bottle mouth and pool surface.

I really believe you could pour bleach like this for 30 years and never have a droplet splashed.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Oh, there is something amiss with my technique all right, it is called three kids and trying to get to work on time. Most of the time I do exactly as you have explained but sometimes I get calls while I am trying to feed kids, water the garden, walk the dog, check the chemicals, make my lunch, get my gym bag ready, clean up cat harballs.....you get the picture.

I have learned to take my time and now the seals or a bad day the only threats to my nice clean pants.

Reactions: Newdude
I think the trick is just slow, steady pouring. In a year and a half, i haven't bleached any of my clothes adding chlorine every day. As for the little tabs, i remove them with a paper towel between my fingers which helps grab the tab but also protect against from flying droplets when the tab comes off suddenly.

I think the trick is just slow, steady pouring. In a year and a half, i haven't bleached any of my clothes adding chlorine every day. As for the little tabs, i remove them with a paper towel between my fingers which helps grab the tab but also protect against from flying droplets when the tab comes off suddenly.
It’s ripping that little seal off of new bottles that got me. Or taking them off and getting a little amount on my finger and then touching my clothes without realizing it until later in the day.

Reactions: Saturn94
What about getting a cheap but reusable poncho to keep your clothes from getting splashed? I'm sure the bleach would put a hole in the poncho, but it should save your clothes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.