Can I fill the pool halfway through the remodel?

Some of you may recall my last thread where the guy we hired to resurface the pool and put mosaic tile up did such a horrible job I fired him after the third day. I'm now prepping the pool two do everything myself.

At this point I pretty much have the pool prepped for new tile and resurfacing. The problem is that by the time we get supplies ready, and complete the work, then wait 30 days for everything to cure this swimming season will be over.

I would like to fill the pool now and at least let the kids have a working pool. My question is now that the surface of the porcelain tiles has been roughed up is the pool still watertight. Did the surface of these porcelain tiles provide part of the waterproofing for the pool?

Pictures to follow.

I am missing something.........please read the last sentence and see if you meant to say that or something else............do you mean the "surface FOR the porcelain tiles has been roughed up"?

Please do share some pics so we can really see what you are dealing with.

I SO want your kids to swim!

Kim:kim:

Grout and tile are usually the water proof barrier. But, the mortar and the concrete are also often fairly watertight as well. So, the answer depends how thick the mortar bed was and what mortar was used. The answer is it is probably watertight, or close to it. I would fill it up and see what happens. It might leak some, but likely not a lot.

Sorry for the delay. Here are the pictures.

The first picture is not at the waterline but on the back side of the spa. This was a surprise to me and I didn't know if this was typical for an install. The last shows one of the two weep holes they placed and I'm wondering how to seal this as well. The plan is to acid wash the surface, fill the cracks and holes with hydraulic cement and fill the pool. My only concern is constant leaking through the face of the porcelain tile.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

IMG_20170430_092414.jpg
IMG_20170430_092437.jpg
IMG_20170430_092613.jpg
IMG_20170430_092500.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.