Can I do this for a backwash

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I would like to water my grass when I backwash, as opposed to what I've been doing for years (the street). I have a 1-1/2" pipe coming out of my filter. Would I be able to get that pvc to attach to a garden hose and water the grass that way? Or is backwashing through a garden hose not the best of ideas?

Thanks. A backwash hose it is. I already have a 50 foot backwash hose but need another 50 to reach all parts of the grass. Do you think I’m able to link another 50 foot hose together or do I need to get a complete 100 foot hose?

I’m trying to think of what fitting would be needed to link them.

Be aware of your salt water. Not a big deal if you use fresh water in the same area regularly.

Be aware of your salt water. Not a big deal if you use fresh water in the same area regularly.

Thanks. I've thought long and hard if flooding my grass with the salt water pool would be ok. My grass is watered to about 7-9" every 2 to 3 days, so like you mentioned, I feel that it would be ok since it will be diluted pretty quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

something like this
https://www.poolsupplies.com/media/26b5447062a38ee2d85a086d9d980907.1000x1000.jpg

not recommending this site, just first one i found easily. not saying it's bad either.

Yup, that looks perfect, i'll search out that. Looks like it's called a barb coupling.

My current hose is 1.5", and the only coupling I found at a decent price is either 1" or 2". Anyone see any issue with having a 1" coupling between the hoses?

Use 2'' backwash hose not 1.5'' hose, or, two 50' vac hose connected together ( I have several 50' vac hose i connect together for draining pools, you might find vac hose to be a more manageable way of storing, and using for bw needs, compared to less durable vinyl bw hose which at 100' will tend to stretch and be more prone to tears and holes etc, not to mention rolling it up every time you bw is a pain (unless you plan on just gathering it up in 10' sections at a time to store it and arent concerned with the more meticulous rolling up of hose ) i suggest vac hose primarily as an option because of the 100' length you described, vac hose will last much longer, and can be fitted with quick connect/disconnect fittings, and will not kink or twist when pulled out to the full 100', like vinyl hose can be known to do,

Use 2'' backwash hose not 1.5'' hose, or, two 50' vac hose connected together ( I have several 50' vac hose i connect together for draining pools, you might find vac hose to be a more manageable way of storing, and using for bw needs, compared to less durable vinyl bw hose which at 100' will tend to stretch and be more prone to tears and holes etc, not to mention rolling it up every time you bw is a pain (unless you plan on just gathering it up in 10' sections at a time to store it and arent concerned with the more meticulous rolling up of hose ) i suggest vac hose primarily as an option because of the 100' length you described, vac hose will last much longer, and can be fitted with quick connect/disconnect fittings, and will not kink or twist when pulled out to the full 100', like vinyl hose can be known to do,

I'll look into the idea of a vac hose instead. I did have concerns already over the bw hose kinking up and tearing over time. I really need ~80ft to reach the furthest areas of the grass so I could connect a few smaller ones. Could you point in the right direction of the product I would need to connect the hose to the 1-1/2" pipe coming off of the filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.