Can I cut the PVC pipe from the pump and create a temporary circulation system?

Jul 1, 2015
Memphis, TN
Pool is inoperable due to burst pipes on the pressure side. The pool company is giving us the run around as to when they will come put a camera down the pipes to access and locate the actual pipe. (Has been diagnosed by a leak service.) Anyway, is it possible to cut the pipe coming from the end of the circulation system (which is our unused chlorinator) and add a temporary "above ground" filter system that bypasses the returns inside the pool but circulates the water. I'm picturing PVC piping laying on the pool decking, going into the pool, and then returning to the pump/filter system. Does this make sense? The leak detector guy said it could be done but he didn't give me any details. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm trying to avoid the pool going green. Alternatively, if I put the safety cover back on would it inhibit algae growth until they come out?

Sure you could do that but really isn't necessary. Just add chlorine and mix it with a leaf rake or brush daily. If you want constant circulation, put a cheap electric sump pump in the pool and let it run.

It will work. You can use enough PVC pipe to reach 2-3 feet into the pool. You won't have any skimmer function so you may need to hand skim the pool, but you will be able to filter the water if its going to be a while before they show up. If you intend to swim with this set up in place shut off the pump at the breaker first so you don't risk entrapment.

If the problem is only on the pressure side, you can cut the plumbing at the return line near the equipment and run some 1.5" pvc pipe back to the pool.

The suction and skimmers should work like usual.

It should be a relatively easy job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.