Can I change this copper line to PVC?

jonwb1

Jan 30, 2018
Upland
Hi... got a leak coming from one of my copper elbows on the return filter line. I'm wondering if I HAVE to use copper to replace it, or can I run 1.5" PVC pipe with new fittings? The return coming up from the ground is copper so I'd have to find a "copper to PVC" elbow. Otherwise, any reason not to go PVC with this setup?

Thanks

Attachments

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
There's no reason you can't replace that with PVC. I can't see where ti comes through the slab, but you should be able to get a compression coupling that will transition between the two.

Rocket J Squirrel

Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
When my 30-year-old copper pipes started leaking, I figured one leak is just the beginning. I had my pad jackhammered and all the copper replaced with PVC. The underground part was already PVC. Something to consider.

jonwb1

Jan 30, 2018
Upland
Ok then, thanks.

Yes it's copper coming through the slab so a compression fitting sounds good. The original system is probably 30 years old and they ironically used 2" PVC on the incoming lines coming through the same slab. Weird?

Attachments

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
What heater do you have?

If the output is hot, you want some heat resistant piping coming out, especially if the pump turns off while the heater is on.

At a minimum, you want to use CPVC and CPVC glue.

Ideally, you would have the heater turn off about 10 minutes before the heater turns off.

jonwb1

Jan 30, 2018
Upland
Thanks but we don't have a heater.

We have a blue Coverstar retractable cover that heats the water sufficiently during the summer here in California. We're not year long swimmers. Thanks for the heads-up though :)