Can I address this pool leak in the Spring?

Esand323

Aug 6, 2018
Indianapolis
Hi all,

We closed our pool back in late September. I've noticed overtime that the water level was slowly going down. We're losing about 1/8" a day. For a while, I thought it might have just been evaporation. We have a mesh safety cover. I did a bucket test and the pool is consistently losing 1/8" - 3/16" a day. Where as the bucket is losing 0-1/16" day. Here is how I've been doing the bucket test. I pull the cover over it.

20211111_155550.jpg

The leak isn't in any of the lines. It could be the return fitting, main drain pot/gasket, or small hole in the liner. Pool temp is now 48F so too cold for me to go in and search for the leak. Is it okay to wait until the Spring to address this? 1/8" a day won't drain the pool at all and I'll monitor it to make sure it doesn't increase. I know leaving a pool leak can cause problems, but I'm not sure if I could get anyone out at this point to identify the leak and repair it. Just looking for any advice. Thanks!

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I think at this point all you can do is keep the water level up in the pool until the Spring.

Esand323

Aug 6, 2018
Indianapolis
Thanks! Ultimately, I think you're right. I'm limited with what I can do at this point. I have a strong feeling it's leaking in the main drain pot/gasket as I temporarily fixed it last year (a permanent fix will happen when we replace the liner). I'd preferably wait until the Spring and just dive down there and patch it myself. However, I'm concerned that a consistent leak for the next 6 months is going to cause irreversible damage to the pool in some way. I've seen some leak detection companies on YouTube that will dive in the water during the Winter to find leaks. I'd imagine if I paid someone enough they would come out. I'm just not sure if that is warranted or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread