Can I add borates slowly??

MomUv5

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2010
Memphis, TN area
Your example of how to add borates says to use 6 fluid ounces of acid per 12 oz. by weight of borax.

I'm concerned about the pH jumping around too wildly because I've had issues with metals and staining.

Can I add 1 box of 20 mule team borax (76 oz) and 38 fluid oz. of acid once a day until I've used up my borax?

As I go along, if the pH starts to drift, I can always add a little more or a little less acid, right?

That just seems like an easy way to get there, to me, without the possible problems of a fluctuating pH.

What do ya' think, oh brilliant chemistry nerds and geeks??

JasonLion said:
If you are worried about PH fluctuations, you should use boric acid, instead of borax and muriatic acid. Boric acid is only very slightly acidic and won't have much impact on your PH at all.

In a perfect world, that would, indeed, be the right answer.

But:
A. I know where to buy borax, and
B. I've already bought it.

Then your proposed solution of adding small quantities over a period of time is probably the best way to go. You can add batches as often as once every hour, or even every half hour, if your want. Half an hour to an hour with the pump running is enough time for everything to mix in properly and the PH to stabilize.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.