Can I add Alkalinity up, and shock the pool at the same time?

Alk up is baking soda and harmless with chlorine. Let the first one mix for 15 minutes before adding the second. Chlorox bleach is no longer any good for pools. Every last kind has some sort of chloromax technology or is splashless and has polymers in it that will foam in the pool if you add enough. 1 gallon won't hurt. But still, best to avoid altogether.

Alk up is baking soda and harmless with chlorine. Let the first one mix for 15 minutes before adding the second. Chlorox bleach is no longer any good for pools. Every last kind has some sort of chloromax technology or is splashless and has polymers in it that will foam in the pool if you add enough. 1 gallon won't hurt. But still, best to avoid altogether.
So any other brand is fine that doesn’t say splashless? Or you’re saying don’t add liquid bleach at all? Was using liquid because I thought/heard the tablets were bad after awhile.

You want liquid chlorine..... either the plainest, non-scented, non-thickened, no Cloromax Technology, no ANYTHING except bleach!! Or from a hardware store or Walmart's Pool Section they sell stronger liquid chlorine (aka liquid Shock).

Use PoolMath to guide you on how much to use. Same with basic baking soda (much, much cheaper than "Alkalinity Up"). PoolMath will be your guide. ;)

Maddie

Yes, any other brand is find. Just remember to look at the % Sodium Hypo-chlorite, to put into pool math. Also look for "fresh" stock as it loses strength over time. I have 10% bleach (or liquid chlorine) from Home Depot which is down to about 6%. The stock was a bit old and stored outdoors in Houston.

Tablets aren't "bad" (yes, I know my signature), but they raise CYA. Too much CYA is a problem for many of us. For short season pools which are 1/2 drained each year, they are probably not "evil".

Awesome guys thanks so much for all the info! Any idea where I’d be able to purchase cheap liquid chlorine? How much is usually a gallon of liquid chlorine so I know I’m not getting ripped off. Or should I just go with a generic Walmart brand bleach?

thanks guys!

Walmart’s pool section has it. Home Depo sell it as well at $9 / 3 gallons (HDX Chlorinating Liquid). When I was using liquid chlorine, I’d order it online from Home Depot and have it delivered to my house (18 gallon purchase limit). Sooooo convenient this way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see this on my Home Depot

Don’t see a 3 gallon just a 2 gallon for 6.86
Is that a good price?

Reactions: Newdude
Check this link to see if it is available at your store

Also, check the bottles for the date code, to make sure they are not too old.

If you buy 4 packages, they take a $1 off each package.

Awesome. Thanks so much guys for all the info. Last question. (Sorry I’m a newbie with pools, just purchased a house with one) so if I want to entirely switch from the tablets to liquid chlorine, Do I have to add liquid chlorine every night? (Of course I’ll use a tester kit. I have the strips. And then determine the OZs with the calculator)

Yes, liquid chlorine needs to be added every day. That is a big reason why so many people here love salt water chlorine generators. Just set the % and pump run time, and the SWCG makes chlorine for you continuously. It’s especially convenient if you leave for vacation. I recently left for two weeks and my pool was fine when I got back.

Check this link to see if it is available at your store

Also, check the bottles for the date code, to make sure they are not too old.

If you buy 4 packages, they take a $1 off each package.
Actually found concentrated bleach at Aldis. Brand is Tandil. Has 6% and cost $2.22. Not to bad. Only thing is it says it can be used on HE washing machines. Not sure if that matters

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.