Can I add a 20 amp circuit to my Easy 8 Control Load Center for outlet and light in pool shed?

delyles

Apr 23, 2020
Houston Texas
I have a 25K gallon in ground pool/spa with Pentair equipment (VS pump, booster pump for cleaner, matertemp heater, led lights). All equipment is run through an Easy Touch 8 control load center. The load center is connected to a double pole breaker (50/50 amps) in my main house panel. The load center has two double pole (20/20 x2) and one 20 amp single pole breaker. I have recently build a shed around my pool equipment and my question is can I add a new 20 amp breaker to the load center to power an outlet and light for the shed? The load center has room for the new breaker.

D,

That is what I did.. The EasyTouch end is easy, just add the breaker and the wiring..

The problem is the size of the wires going to the EasyTouch and the current load it now has..

What size is the breaker in your main circuit breaker panel that provides the power to your EasyTouch??

Thanks,

Jim R.

thanks for the reply. the installer did something I am not familiar with (see pic), he bridged two breakers, but ultimately I believe the Easy touch is being feed from the two 50 amp breakers, the two 30 amp breakers run my dryer.

Attachments

• 20200423_143228.jpg
    20200423_143228.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 21
You will be fine. Add a breaker and wire it. That panel can contain up to 125 amps worth of 2 pole 240v breakers. Few devices actually draw the full amount of the breaker, so code allows for alot of breakers. For example, your pump rated for 20 amps likely uses less than 12. Your light, also on a 20, will use less than 1 with a 100w old fashioned incandescent bulb. Your heater, on a 20a, uses a fraction of an amp. The real issue is actual amp draw. If you exceed the main breaker rating with all devices it will trip the main. You are nowhere close to that yet.
If the outlet is less than 5 feet from water it must be gfci protected, either with a gfci breaker or gfci receptacle. It's a good idea even if not.

Reactions: PoolGate
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.