Can I add 15lbs of calcium chloride at one time or should I spread it out over a few days?

Jbrillo

Gold Supporter
Jun 11, 2018
League City, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just filled my about two weeks ago. My calcium hardness started at 100 and after adding 8lbs of calcium chloride over a few days it’s still only 125. Pool math says I need to add 15lbs. Do I just spread 15lbs over the deep end and mix it up? Just sounds like a lot. Thanks!

I know it should be spread across the deep end I just wasn’t sure if I should put all 15lbs at once. It sounds like an awful lot. I wasn’t sure if I needed to spread it out slowly over a day or so.

Reactions: SPman
I know it should be spread across the deep end I just wasn’t sure if I should put all 15lbs at once. It sounds like an awful lot. I wasn’t sure if I needed to spread it out slowly over a day or so.

Only reason not to put it all in at one time is if you want to test in between doses to ensure you do not overshoot your target. You can only remove CH by draining.

I just wasn’t sure if I should put all 15lbs at once. It sounds like an awful lot.
Perhaps the only thing you "might" notice is some cloudiness. That can happen in some cases when large doses are added at once. But even then, that doesn't happen in all cases. If it does, it should dissipate in a day or two.

If you broadcast the calcium, be sure to brush well right away so that the calcium does not stick to the bottom of the pool.

If you want to predissolve in water, use about 5 gallons of water so that the mixture doesn't overheat.

As long as you don't add anything else at the same time, you should not get any significant cloudiness.

Don't add anything else on the same day as the calcium.

Run the pump for at least 4 hours after adding the calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.