Can groundwater seep underground into pool?

Dtkokay

Dec 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
My pool has been up and running for a little over a week. We had a decent rain last night, 1/2 inch. Today, I have water continuously draining out through the overflow. It's a pretty slow trickle, but it's continuous. I checked the autofill and it's definitely not running.

Is it possible for groundwater to seep through the gunite and fresh plaster into the pool? The day after my pool was plastered, I saw water seeping up through the plaster in the floor, making a small puddle. Could something like that still be happening with the fresh rain from last night? Am I missing something else to check?

DT,

In theory, once water is in the pool, the water in the pool has the same pressure as the water outside the pool and no water should leak in..

I would shut off the auto fill and see what happens.. The auto fill should have shut off valve at where it is connected to your house plumbing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Dtkokay
Followup: I shut off the valve to the autofill on the side of the house. The water level dropped back to a normal level and stopped dribbling out through the overflow. I turned the autofill valve back on, and the water is staying at the normal level, just below the overflow. So all appears to be well.

I was puzzled as to why water would continue to overflow 10+ hours after rain had stopped, but I have a theory: the rain raised the water level in the pool; the wind was blowing away from where my autofill was located (I have a very long, narrow pool), which pushed water towards that end, holding it at a higher level. As the wind died down later in the day, the water level evened out, which made the excess drain through the overflow.

My crackpot theory. Either way things seem fine.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.