Can fiberglass steps be painted with Rust-Oleum Marine Topside paint?

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
I started painting my fiberglass pool steps with Rust-Oleum Marine Topside paint and then saw the can says "for use above thewaterline". Is this paint not going to hold well in the pool water with all the chemicals? Which paint should I be using instead? Can I apply the right paint over the area that I already painted with Rust-Oleum Marine Topside paint or do I have to sand it first now?

Screenshot_021623_062342_PM.jpg

I started painting my fiberglass pool steps with Rust-Oleum Marine Topside paint and then saw the can says "for use above thewaterline". Is this paint not going to hold well in the pool water with all the chemicals? Which paint should I be using instead? Can I apply the right paint over the area that I already painted with Rust-Oleum Marine Topside paint or do I have to sand it first now?

View attachment 473671
No paint will hold up under water. Especially not non-catalyzed paint like that. It’s not the chemicals, it’s just the water.

Reactions: Newdude
What if I cover it all with epoxy? Should I sand Rust-Oleum Marine Topside pain first?
A 2 part epoxy might have a decent shot but yea, any paint would have to be removed first. Is this gel coat you’re applying it over? You’ll need to sand the gel-coat well to remove the wax/release-agent that’s on the surface before getting a good bond. Have you considered just reapplying gel coat?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.