Can anyone help identify these pipes on suction side?

doobs21

May 17, 2021
los angeles, ca
Hi everyone, new to the TFP although I have been lurking for a little while.

I've attached a picture of the suction side of the pool. I know the one left of the pump is the spa drain. My question is the 2 pipes on the right. I have a main drain, 2 skimmers, and I think a suction side port for a vacuum (though I've never tried using it so I am not 100% sure that is what it is).

1) In the picture, both pipes are open right now correct? If I wanted to close the far right pipe, I would turn the valve clockwise 90 degrees, correct? Sorry for noob questions, I just don't want to damage anything due to ignorance.

2)Is this configuration common? One pipe is main drain and skimmer while the other is the suction?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 38
It is pretty easy to determine what each pipe is for. Turn on one at a time and view the skimmers to see which one is drawing water. Check the vacuum port to make sure it is open before changing the valves.

Either way, it is a common configuration.

Not sure what one if far right and center right.. If you turn the handle 90 degrees to the left it will block the far right pipe... if you turn it 180 degrees left it will block the center pipe... If you turn it 120 degrees it will pull 80% from both pipes and the position it is in pulls 100% from both pipes...

****** NEVER turn the handle 90 degrees to the right as it will block all water from getting to the pump...******

You going to have to test to see what pipe is what by turning the valve.. :)

Thanks for the replies mas and cowboy, I figured out one is for a skimmer and the other is for the other skimmer (which is connected to main drain). Which leads me to ask what is the thing in the pics? I thought it might be a suction port for a vacuum but the 2 suction side pipes are for skimmers. With all pipes open, there is no sucking into this pipe. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 11
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 11
It could be a port for a pressure cleaner. Is there a smallish pipe on the pad that is not connected to anything?

You might consider connecting it to your returns at the pool equipment. If it's capped, just cut off the cap and connect it to one of the returns with a T fitting and that'll give you another return with fresh water flowing through that pipe at all times. If it's capped, it probably has some old water and maybe even some algae in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.