Can anybody tell me how you would fix this?


In The Industry
Jul 3, 2013
I have a customer who I just put a new multiport valve on his sand filter. The problem is that now there is a leak at the location shown by the red arrow in the picture. The T goes nowhere. I'm not sure why they used it instead of a normal slip union. The problem is that there isn't much room between the T fitting and the Hayward flow sensor. So if I cut it just below the T, there is only about 3/4 to 1 inch to slide a slip union on to, and I don't think that's enough to get a proper fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Apr 1, 2020
Pikeville, TN
It the t cracked? or leaking from glued joint - plug and reduced port on the T? You can drain the plumbing, remove the plug using heat gun carefully, clean the surfaces to original sub-straight, and re-glue it with solvent and PVC glue. Or you could use flex seal spray can sealers you see advertised on TV. especially if its a small leak or drip. If you have to replace the T, go in u tube and see how to unseal the glued joint (the female T to the slip pvc pipe. that way you still have that same length of stub to glue a coupling back onto. I think a heat gun evenly heating around the heaviest part will cause the PVC glue to let loose. there are lots of u tube videos demonstrating the method to dismantle and reuse the pieces.


TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Sorry, but I would tell them that there isn't enough material left to do a quick fix and that they will need to have that entire section redone properly with the correct fittings. It will cost more in your labor but, at the end of the day, it will be fixed correctly and there will be no leak.

Sometimes you just have to pay for a correct and quality job....
Apr 1, 2020
Pikeville, TN
My eyes aren't so good anymore. i couldn't see the crack. I'm a poor farm boy so I always make do with what I have if possible. If it's a job for hire, I would probably give them the option with the risks, but a wiser person might cut the risk and cut it all out and start from the start. If it was mine, I'd heat out the T and replace it. knowing I was taking a little risk. Bottom line; once you take it apart clean it up with sand paper you will know if its going to be ok to glue back in, so I would invest my extra time and try to just replace the T. I love a challenge, and if it doesn't work, I am really not out much.


Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Marrietta Ga
How much room is below the T? Looks like an inch or more, maybe able to use a coupler if your careful how you cut the T out

Other option is cut a grove in the crack and fill it with JB weld and give it a drive way warranty " Its good until I leave the driveway" :)
One trick is drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from getting worse..Just a small 1/8"
Last edited: