Can an in-ground, pebble tech pool be mothballed?

Jul 17, 2013
Don't know that I actually want to do this, but wondering if it would work. Thinking you could drain and line a pool with geotextile and then fill it with sand that's wetted down pretty well. Could also cover with plastic after it's almost full of sand and then add another inch or two of sand and rock on top of this and essentially make it a patio. Could even pour a couple of inches of concrete on top, as long as I made sure that had protection around the sides so it doesn't adhere to the pebbles. The pool is in AZ, but it's mostly in the shade with probably 4-6 hours or so of sunlight in the afternoon in the summer. The general idea is that the sand, particularly if damp would protect the plaster and pebble tech so it doesn't crack and start falling off, plus the weight and pressure would also help hold it in place. The goal would be to shut down the pool for an extended period, but make it usable again in the future if the house is sold. Does anyone have any ideas if this would work? It's about a 10k gallon pool, with the deepest part being about 5' or so.

The plaster and pebble tech is about 25 years old and generally seems to be in good shape, other than on north side above the water line it's cracked and came off in several locations. Just don't use it that much, and given it needs some repairs, I'm also looking at alternatives.

Nope and how would you later excavate it without damaging the finish? 25 years is an excellent lifespan on a pool surface anyway.

Do you just not want to do the repairs now or????

If I never used my pool again I'd still want to keep it because I enjoy seeing it... in fact I think I enjoy being around it more than in.

You also need to know that your question is like going to a dog lover's forum and asking about putting down a healthy dog?

What you propose would work for filling the pool and making a patio out of it, but as Brian pointed out you won't really be saving the pool plaster. One thing you would want to do if you decide to "make it a patio" is to open a hole in the bottom so water could drain out. If there's a hydrostatic valve you could just remove it and that would suffice.

If you do fill it in like you propose, it could always be renovated in the future by digging it out and replastering it at that point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.