Can AGP be installed in winter?

Jun 10, 2013
Bumpass, Virginia
We bought our 21' pool last summer and have been working on getting the ground level. This was supposed to be a DIY project from start to finish, but I could see my husband was not taking it so well. :rant: We almost have our ground level, so I talked him into letting me call a professional to complete the job. I made several calls, getting prices from each one and what all that includes. The cost to install is anywhere from $1000-2100, including sand and block, but not including the water. That's extra.

Anyway, they have all been telling me that they can install the pool anytime and can install the liner as long as it's 50 degrees and sunny. Is this a good idea?? I mean, I want the pool installed, but I want it done right! Doesn't the liner have to be installed when it's warm so it can stretch properly?

One man called me back today, says he's been in the business 28 yrs. and wants to come the first week in FEBRUARY to install it. He said he'd reduce the install price from $1400 to $1100 because work is slow for him this time of year. He said he could put the whole pool together, including the walls and if the weather was bad, he would come back when it was warmer to install the liner. Now, I've read enough on here to know that the pool could collapse if there's no water in it! Right?!

Please give me your advice! Should I just wait until Spring and pay a little extra? I live in Central Virginia and we're expecting snow this evening with single digit temps over the next several nights. I hate it when people try to pressure me into something. :roll:

So, can it be done? I wanted to ask the experts before I even discuss this with my husband! :mrgreen:

The 50º temp is doable but 60º+ would be better.

Given the weather we've been having this year and the potential weather we're likely to have the rest of the winter, I think I'd opt to wait until spring even if it costs a bit more to get it installed.

For me there's no way I'd have any work done outside in this weather unless it's an emergency. Low temps often leads people to rush jobs and the chance of subpar work increases. For $300, I'd wait until spring.

Reactions: JamesW
If this guy has been installing pools for 28 yrs. I would assume that he knows what he is doing. I am sure that he could brace the empty pool so that it doesn't collapse. Even if it did collapse he would have to fix it to put the liner in. I would do it now and save $300. That is a 20% discount. If you get it done now then you can work on all the details in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.