Can a bad pump blow the circuit breaker?

Tyrone Shuz

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Bowie, MD
Had air in the lines, pump would lose prime. Pump would make screechy sounds till it primed. Did some research, got an O-ring for the basket, which seemed to work perfectly, pump was smooth. Came out this morning to backwash and pump not on. Circuit breaker popped. Pushed it in, turned on the pump, and it tripped the circuit breaker. I didn't even hear the motor begin to start. Is my pump dead? It's a Sta-rite 3/4 HP and it's at least 10 yrs old. Do I need a pool guy or an electrician?

What pump? How old?

Turn the motor and see if it is seized.

If the motor turns freely then check the Pump Capacitors - Further Reading

You can do further checks using a multimeter.

You need someone who knows how to diagnose motor problems. Otherwise they will just tell you it is dead and sell you another pump.

Pool guy came and brought an electrician helper with him. They looked at the breaker, switch, etc. They took the pump apart and the motor burned out, it was running on one phase (starting to get above my pay grade here). They are going to find a motor, and repair the issues in the switch and breaker box. I'm pleased that they didn't just sell me a new pump. Maybe not pleased when I hear the estimate but we shall see. Been with this guy a long time, I think he'll be straight.

I learned that sometimes repairs cost more than new one. I just saw a new Pentair superflo 3/4hp for $350.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.