Calcium stains on dark plaster

Replastered pool with dark grey color about 1 year ago. Using TFPC method. In November CH was at 800 and PH went high for about a week and resulted in calcium stains that a very noticeable. I am considering having an acid wash on 1 year old plaster to remove stains.

Will acid wash remove all calcium stains?
What affect will this have on dark plaster?
Will this cause any long term damage to pool finish?

Here are my water readings:

FC=4
PH=7.4
TA=60
CH=300
CYA=30

Draining and doing an acid wash may be more than it needs. I do know an acid wash will shorten the life of the plaster. I'm not sure if an acid wash will give the results you want on dark plaster. Have you tried lowering the pH to between 7.0-7.2 and keeping it there to see if the stains go away?

Leave it down at 7.0 until you give up. Slowly, it should have some effect. Monitor the pH absolutely every day. Keep it at exact;ly 7.0....lower it if it goes to 7.2. It won't cost much at all but will take close supervision.

Take a "before" picture now so you can compare in a couple of weeks. Success is not guaranteed, of course, but if you are diligent, I think you can get a lot, if not all of it.

If you have a lot of it right at the waterline, I would lower the water level a couple of inches and tackle it with a scrub brush and a 3:1 dilution of muriatic acid. You know it is working if you see foam on the buildup. might have to go 2:1 to really get it going.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.