Calcium scaling - i messed up?

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
As I indicated in another post about this topic,

My Plaster was finished early June last year and when I opened last week the PH was very high. After three gallons of 32% acid (over a three day period) it went down to about 7.4. I ran my Polaris for a couple of days and it kept filling up with what looked like crushed ice. But now reading the other thread about calcium scaling I assume it was calcium (although it looked more crushed than the pictures posted there). Anyway I ran my hand over the walls and I felt the roughness. On the other post, it was suggested to lower the PH to 7.2, and I just did that, but I THINK THAT WAS A MISTAKE FOR ME. MY CSI was within the acceptable range, but now it will be -1.0

MY CH is 225 (hasn't changed since opening), TA 60 (hasn't changed since opening), CYA 30 (hasn't changed since opening), FC over 5 (I didn't do the more precise test this morning). MY CSI was -.42 this morning, but I read in the other thread (which was addressing someone else) that PH should be lowered to about 7.2 to prevent scaling. I just poured in the Acid, but now I realize that a lower PH will cause my CSI will drop to -1.0.

What should I do?

Thanks

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Brush!

It won't take long for the scale to dissolve and go into solution, raising the CH and by extension, CSI.

Or just add some baking soda to raise TA which will raise CSI. However, it will also cause pH to rise faster.

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
Just to clarify, it's not -.6 and positive .6. It's between -.3 and + .3. Is that because I already have a problem?

pooldv

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
No, if you keep it between the 3s then there is a little room for numbers to shift a bit and stay between the 6s in between tests.