Calcium Hardness

Jun 3, 2009
Newburgh,NY
I have read on this site that calcium hardness is not that important for a vinyl pool. What about for my heater? And how about my aggregate concrete surface. I do notice more stones missing every year from the surface of my concrete that surrounds the pool area. Also, where is the best place to buy calcium chloride? Meaning other than a pool store. I just paid almost $40 for 20 lbs!

Because vinyl liners don't leach out or take up calcium like plaster does, CH alone is of little concern on that front. The exception though, as you pointed out, has to do with the rest of the equipment (heaters). We recommend that you keep the CH in the water that is recommended in the product literature for heaters and such so that no warranty problems develop later. Your liner doesn't need CH, but other things might.

Places that sell deicer products should have calcium chloride. This may be a seasonal (and regional) offering.

Just to clarify, the heater, etc., don't need calcium. But the warranty might require it. There isn't any point in risking your warranty coverage. But if warranties were not an issue, there really isn't any other point to having calcium in a vinyl liner pool.

Well, I just checked my warranty on my heater. There was only a one year warranty on the heat exchanger. It also mentioned that the warranty would be voided if the ph or t/a wasn't to their specs, but no mention of the calcium there. I guess I just wasted $40 on their calcium plus!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.