Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on raising my calcium hardness. I was told by my pool builder to never add calcium because it's impossible to remove. I was told there are other ways to increase it over time. I'm unsure and would rather follow the TFP method to ensure I'm balanced. Below are my results from my Taylor 2006C testing I completed for the first-time last night. Or based on other post I've read on here should I even bother raising it?

FC - 10
CC - 0.0
PH - 7.5
TA - 100 (I will follow the TFP method here and lower the PH with acid, use my waterfall to aerate or my SWG to bring the PH back in range)
CH - 170
CYA - 40
Salt - 3300 ppm
Temp. - (70F)
CSI - (-0.52)

Last edited:
What is the pH, TA, and CH of your fill water?

If you have low CH fill water then you should raise calcium to 250-300.

If you have high calcium fill water and are in a high evaporation area then your fill water will raise your CH over time.

Reactions: Mdragger88
What is the pH, TA, and CH of your fill water?

If you have low CH fill water then you should raise calcium to 250-300.

If you have high calcium fill water and are in a high evaporation area then your fill water will raise your CH over time.
I'm unsure at this time but will run a test on it this evening to confirm what the fill water is. What is the best place to take the sample from? Spicket? Hose?

I'm unsure at this time but will run a test on it this evening to confirm what the fill water is. What is the best place to take the sample from? Spicket? Hose?
Wherever you are filling the pool water from.

I was told by my pool builder to never add calcium because it's impossible to remove
You average 63 inches of rain a year and depending on how much of it mixes before leaving, will be the better part of a free water exchange.

You'll likely find you need to add CH a few times a year, but rely on the regular testing to let you know when. :)

You either give the pool water the necessary calcium, or it will over time take it from the wall plaster, which will shorten the lifespan of the plaster. Your choice.
Your Pool Builder is an idiot when it comes to chemistry.

Maddie :flower:

At first thought, I wanted to go there immediately. But with a minute to think it out, he's probably just used to people shocking the everloving bejeezus out of their pools weekly with Cal-Hypo. In that case, adding extra Calcium on purpose would be a different story.

But we all know how to roll without ever having to shock the pool, so we see diminishing CH on the east coast instead.

You either give the pool water the necessary calcium, or it will over time take it from the wall plaster, which will shorten the lifespan of the plaster. Your choice.

Maddie :flower:
I was thinking the same thing after reading on here, but I don’t know the basis behind the pool builders decisions. I’m going to get into proper range.

You average 63 inches of rain a year and depending on how much of it mixes before leaving, will be the better part of a free water exchange.

You'll likely find you need to add CH a few times a year, but rely on the regular testing to let you know when. :)
Will do appreciate the reply!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At first thought, I wanted to go there immediately. But with a minute to think it out, he's probably just used to people shocking the everloving bejeezus out of their pools weekly with Cal-Hypo. In that case, adding extra Calcium on purpose would be a different story.

But we all know how to roll without ever having to shock the pool, so we see diminishing CH on the east coast instead.
That's about it! My PB start up guy was just assuming he would take on the weekly care. I'm sure 99% of time he's the logical choice. He was there every day for a week with a kit, so he had to have the numbers. When I was was given the keys and didn't sign on, all he said was to not add any stabilizer, etc... My first test showed woefully low CYA and CH. So, I'm sure that was just his normal, fresh starting point, for weekly care under tabs and shock.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.