Cal hypo vs bleach

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
I thought I had asked in the past, but I can't remember and I can't find the thread.

So, I'm sorry my memory isn't the greatest.

Are there any obvious downsides to using cal hypo as your everyday chlorine? It's obviously far lighter to carry than bleach, but what are the negatives?
I understand it adds some calcium to the water, but how much and is it relevant?

For a few years I used Cal Hypo on my AG pool as the main source of chlorine. After finding the B B B method I stopped using it. It does add calcium hardness to the pool so if you don't drain the pool much (and even then) eventually it will get very high. If you test for CH check it after a week or two to see the rise it'll give you.

I forget if I bought the 25 lb or 50 lb bucket but either would equate to either 2 gallons or 4 gallons of bleach/ pool chlorine with pool chlorine being a higher concentration then bleach. Water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon I'll assume that bleach weighs the same. Yes, you may get more chlorine in the Cal Hypo so less trips to the store but at some point there may be too much calcium in the water.

Reactions: cj133
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.