By owner build here...looking for the best recommendations for....everything?

ddoggphx

Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
So we are gonna GC our pool and the part that is hardest for me is equipment. I'm hoping this forum can give me guidance on a lot of things and help me kickstart my research on everything from SWG to lighting.

Our pool will be 30×15, with a 7x7 inset spa. Playpool depth with a sunshelf. Spa will have a spillover into the pool.

What are recommendations for the following equipment?

1. SWG system
2. VS pump for both pool and spa (bonus any remote control options)
3. Filter
4. Robot pool cleaners (that do walls too)
5. Heater that can do spa, pool, or both
6. Fire bowls w/ without scuppers
7. Lighting (colors, remote, pattern)
8. Basketball goal ungrounded
9. Remote control system if not I'm item 2
10. Am I missing anything?

I'm super ADD so give me a crumb and I'll dig for days. Help me narrow my research, please!

The pool builder will want to sell you three of these from one manufacturer because they get good bonuses and points at the end of the year. Jandy gives out free vaction trips. And anything Jandy is alway more exspensive on parts for repairs. Just remember that up front. Hayward has a three year warranty, even on lights.

Here are my favorites
1. SWG system ... intellichlor pentair
2. VS pump for both pool and spa (bonus any remote control options) ... Intelliflo pentair hands down. No SVRS on anything you choose. Make life easier and get the same brand pump and
timer and light and you will love your remote options.

3. Filter ... Waterway1 then Pentair2 then hayward3.
4. Robot pool cleaners (that do walls too) ...
5. Heater that can do spa, pool, or both ... Master temp and Haywards newer heaters have a very small foot print. Stay away from raypac heaters

7. Lighting (colors, remote, pattern) ...pentair or hayward...note the colors shows will be off if you mix and match led lights with other brand lights. And the white
red blue and I think pink vary between the two. Hayward offers colored rings to blend with the plaster but have a very noticeable lens under water when off. Pentair has a much thinner ring with a steatheir lens. Id go with pentair.

9. Remote control system if not I'm item 2 ... pantair or jandy

Yes actuator valves youll need two .. pentair or jandy
You may want a blower for your spa, and you may want a booster pump for it as well.

Last edited:
The pool builder will want to sell you three of these from one manufacturer because they get good bonuses and points at the end of the year. Jandy gives out free vaction trips. And anything Jandy is alway more exspensive on parts for repairs. Just remember that up front. Hayward has a three year warranty, even on lights.

Here are my favorites
2. VS pump for both pool and spa (bonus any remote control options) ... Intelliflo pentair hands down. No SVRS on anything you choose. Make life easier and get the same brand pump and

5. Heater that can do spa, pool, or both ... Master temp and Haywards newer heaters have a very small foot print. Stay away from raypac heaters

7. Lighting (colors, remote, pattern) ...pentair or hayward...note the colors shows will be off if you mix and match led lights with other brand lights. And the white
red blue and I think pink vary between the two. Hayward offers colored rings to blend with the plaster but have a very noticeable lens under water when off. Pentair has a much thinner ring with a steatheir lens. Id go with pentair.

You may want a blower for your spa, and you may want a booster pump for it as well.
Thank you!! I may reach out for more advice as I go along if that is OK

Here are my favorites

"2. VS pump for both pool and spa (bonus any remote control options) ... Intelliflo pentair hands down. No SVRS on anything you choose. Make life easier and get the same brand pump and
timer and light and you will love your remote options"

Can you please expand on that? Not sure I understand anything but the last part about loving the remote options...

"2. VS pump for both pool and spa (bonus any remote control options) ... Intelliflo pentair hands down. No SVRS on anything you choose. Make life easier and get the same brand pump and
timer and light and you will love your remote options"

Can you please expand on that? Not sure I understand anything but the last part about loving the remote options...
If you do remote/automation, all of the equipment will need to be the same brand. For example, you couldn't use a Pentair Intellicenter controller with a Hayward pump and Jandy lighting.

If you do remote/automation, all of the equipment will need to be the same brand. For example, you couldn't use a Pentair Intellicenter controller with a Hayward pump and Jandy lighting.
Got it, thx.

Are these app controlled for remotes or automation?

If you do remote/automation, all of the equipment will need to be the same brand.

Not exactly.

Filters are a commodity and can be mixed.

Jandy Aqualink automation can control Pentair IntelliFlo VS pumps.

Lights depend on the type and other manufactures like CMP have lights compatible with various automation.

Is this what you referenced foe the SWG? And if so is that all I need to purchase as equipment or is there more to it? Seems...simple?

Pentair 520555 IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell Amazon.com : Pentair 520555 IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell : Patio, Lawn & Garden

No, that is the cell only.

You also need either the standalone IntelliChlor Power Center or the power center integrated into the Pentair EasyTouch or IntelliCenter.

No, that is the cell only.

You also need either the standalone IntelliChlor Power Center or the power center integrated into the Pentair EasyTouch or IntelliCenter.

So that, yeah?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.