Buying liquid bleach this AM! Questions!!!!

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I’ve been using Dichlor to chlorinate my pool. So far, water is sparkly crystal clear and CYA is at a respectable 40. Today I decided I am FINALLY going to go to Kroger (leaving after I post this) and buying regular liquid bleach. I already know NOT to buy scented, “splash-free”, or any bottles that do not list the percentage. Just plain old regular.

So here are the questions....

When I look online at Clorox bleach products, the only “regular” formulas I see are “performance” and “concentrated”. There is nothing else for the regular. I am assuming I would go with concentrated, correct? As long as it is 6% or more, unscented, NOT the splash-free junk, etc.?

Second, how many jugs do you suggest I buy for a 7000 gallon AGP that I’ve been keeping FC stable with Dichlor ever since I filled the pool? CYA is 40 and pH is 7.5, if any of this matters at all lol.

Any other advice? Thank you in advance!!

Sincerely,

Bleach (LC) Newbie

Don't buy Chlorox. Buy the cheaper stuff, the non name brand bleach. Chlorox seems to have spiraled into "meme bleach" or something lately. You want regular 6% no frills bleach.

Buy 6-8 gallons, plan to go back for more in a couple weeks.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be Clorox, I just meant are there any “buzz words” that I need to avoid? I’ll probably just buy the Kroger brand since I believe they list the percentage on the back of the bottles. I just don’t want to end up with a bunch of bleach that I can’t use (and I HATE doing laundry lol).

I only use chlorine in the winter, as I have a SWCG, but I buy my Liquid Chlorine at a pool store.. It is 12.5% and always fresh.. Comes in a four pack of full gallons with a carrying case. You put a deposit on the case and bottles, and from then on, you just pay for the chlorine.

It costs a few cents more, but in the long run, it works better for me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Interestingly enough, even my local Dollar Tree has racks of buzzword bleach. It's really comprehensive, for Dollar Tree. They also have their regular stuff, which actually has no percentage listed, but is bargain brand bleach and tests out at the 6% level.

My Safeway, which is not my choice, had only Chlorox with buzzwords, and some OLD bleach. I put it in, couldn't test as expected. Put more in, couldn't test as expected. Poured the whole thing in and finally tested above target. It didn't smell like anything, and was clearly degraded. I got the bottles, I'll check dates and then will know more. But before I knew how to check dates, I was simply in the store and needed bleach. Moral is.... I spent $4 on bleach that was at best 1/3 strength and the chain stores are banking on buzzword bleach.

Reactions: thefloatqueen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got some 6% regular bleach (Kroger brand) this morning! Now time to tackle my biggest need, muriatic acid. See my next thread if you’re bored or good at chemistry because I clearly am not lol. Thank you all for your help! Glad I no longer have to use Dichlor!

Check your local hardware stores - in NY they sell 12.5% LC for $15 or so for 5 gallons.

Oh wow! Is that just for regular bleach or LC/bleach marketed for pools with the higher percentage? I know it’s all the same thing, I’m just curious because I’ve never seen bleach that high % before unless it’s at a pool store. Highest I have seen was the expired bleach I found in the basement from 2016 (I tossed it....don’t worry lol). It was Kroger brand 8.25%. Now all I can find is 6%. I’m in central OH.

I only use chlorine in the winter, as I have a SWCG, but I buy my Liquid Chlorine at a pool store.. It is 12.5% and always fresh.. Comes in a four pack of full gallons with a carrying case. You put a deposit on the case and bottles, and from then on, you just pay for the chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ditto! Less lugging. Less storing. Confidence I'm not buying additives. Confidence it's fresh.

Same for acid. I use Leslie's. After giving them my email address, they send me coupons once in a while...

Buying liquid bleach this AM! Questions!!!!

That confuses me. with test results that are close to perfect, why are you switching away from dichlor? Was this a new fill starting with 0 CYA?

Isn't 40 a nice respectable level of CYA to:
a) reserve some CYA for vacations
b) about the spot where late summer/fall should aim for?
c) time to stop using pucks and chlorinate with liquid.

Sorry to question the question, but that seems to me what the information teaches at TFP.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim - curious to know which store you use - like the idea of deposit on case and bottles

I use A-Quality pool, which is a one-off local place.. They sell HASA Liquid chlorine..

Not sure if it is available in Austin???

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.