Burying PVC for AB pool

SkidRowe

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2011
Zebulon, NC
Hi All,
We have just ordered our first pool (18 X 40 AG)! It is to be delivered in about 2 weeks and then be installed shortly thereafter. The pump (dual speed), heater (100,000 btu propane), salt generator and sand filter will be about 10 feet from the pool and I am going to start with using the standard above ground plumbing that comes with the install. I will be hard plumbing and burying almost immediately since the pipes will be running in front of my crawl space door.

I am planning on using Schedule 20 2” PVC buried 12” to/from the pool. My question is about the run from the heater. Will there be any issue with running the PVC from the heater? I know that there are issues with running from household hot water heater with PVC since it could soften and cause leaks. I am not sure if the pool heater get’s hot enough to be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Must use schedule 40 not 20.

Fittings on the heater should be CPVC but I think you can use PVC pipe after that.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

SkidRowe

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2011
Zebulon, NC
Thanks jblizzle! No worries on short responses.

Thanks for the update on schedule 40, for some reason I think I knew that but convinced myself that schedule 20 was correct. Are there no concerns with running the hot water from the heater through Sched 40 PVC? I am not sure how hot the water is coming out of the heater, I cant find the temp anywhere, but I believe the max temp for the PVC is in the 120 - 140 degree range and that it can soften and start to come unglued if it gets too hot.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Both pools with heaters I have had were plumbed with PVC pipe.

I don't think the water ever gets that hot. A spa should only get up to about 100 degrees before it becomes unsafe.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)