Bungee plugs and teflon tape

Lenno

Oct 19, 2022
Central Virginia
Hi - I'm a new in-ground fiberglass pool owner and also new to the forum. Our pool has an automatic pool cover and so it needs to have the water level maintained at all times. Because of this, when closing the pool I opted to go with bungee plugs and a skimlock, which don't require lowering the water level. The bungee plugs are threaded and have an o-ring, but I opted to use 2 or 3 wraps of teflon tape on the threads to make sure I got a good seal. However, this prevents screwing the plugs all the way in so the o-ring seats. I got them screwed in almost all the way, but was afraid of overtightening. Still, I screwed them pretty tight. I got them finger tight but since I was working underwater I couldn't get them very tight by hand. Tried a strap wrench but it kept slipping off because the plugs were too small to get a grip on. Ended up using a pipe wrench to very carefully and slowly get another turn or two but stopped short of seating them against the o-ring. Like I say, they are pretty tight, though, with the teflon tape around the threads. I'm not concerned about them leaking, everything looks great. It's just that I'm waking up in the middle of the night wondering if I might have overtightened them. As the temperatures drop over the next few months and plastic fittings become more brittle, is there a danger of cracking the fitting? Should I be losing sleep over this? I almost want to just remove them, re-install, and blow the lines again, just for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Why do you think you know better then the manufacturer the best way to get a seal on the bungee plug?

And if you do ever rely on O rings don't over tighten them either. Just snug them up for a good seal. Over tightening an O ring deforms it and is what leads to it leaking.

Welcome to TFP.

Why do you think you know better then the manufacturer the best way to get a seal on the bungee plug?

And if you do ever rely on O rings don't over tighten them either. Just snug them up for a good seal. Over tightening an O ring deforms it and is what leads to it leaking.
Well, I had hoped to have both: o-ring seal, as well as taped threads for an added level of security. Just didn't work out that way.

Last edited:
If you will sleep better then redo the bungees without the teflon tape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.