Bullnose coping joints

jkell

Nov 14, 2020
Beverly Hills Florida
I removed some loose bullnose brick coping (8 x 3 5/8 x 2 1/4) to reset and replace cracked white joint material. I tried to get pool remodelers/pool repair people to do this work, but they all were too busy, so I'm doing it. I'm looking for advice on the appropriate material to use in the coping joints.

The 20 year old pool has curved corners, and the pool builder used wedge shaped joints rather than cutting bricks. So joints at corners vary in width from 3/8 at the narrow end to 1 1/4 at the wide end. The joint filler is white with beige coarse sand and is the full depth of the joints. . I can't seem to find a post or some advice for the appropriate joint material to use for this size joint. One builder said they use tile grout, but the joint dimensions far exceed the maximum width and depth for tile grout. Some comments on this forum suggest Type S mortar but these joints seem too wide for that as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

I would say you should use type S mortar. Let's see what @jimmythegreek or @bdavis466 suggests.

Sharing some pics of your pool and coping would let us better understand your situation and see the existing materials you are trying to match.

Type S is also my choice of mortar but it will be alot whiter/grey than that mortar. That has alot of sand in it, it was probably bulk mixed on site or its general purpose like type N. You could always tint some dye to type S amd make some samples up if you really want to match color.

While I would like to match the existing mortar, I'm most concerned about the joint integrity.

Do you have any concern over the width of the joints (1 1/4" at the wide end) using Type S mortar? HD has white Type S mortar and the data sheet says its for 1/4" to 1/2" joints (maybe this is for laying block or brick and not for this condition?). I have no experience with mortar so will defer to your experience. I'm just concerned about cracking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.