Building my own automation system.

I'm thinking hard about getting rid of my Pentair Pool Automation system and building my own. Any change anyone on here has done this already? I'll be using an Allan Bradley PLC and Automation Direction HMI.
PLCs and automation direct... you should check out my DIY pool controller thread! (See sig). I built an automation system with DIN rail components and a raspberry pi running Node-RED as my PLC. Katodude, segalion, Jonpcar, el duderino and a few other users are doing the same. Check out their posts as well.

What are you looking to do that the Intellitouch can't already do?
I'd like to have better control over the valves. Not just fully open or closed. I'd also like the system to text/email me under certain conditions. I don't like being dependent of the Pentair Cloud for my remote access. And really I just want full control over the whole system and not be dependent on a third party.

Welcome to the rabbit hole...

Everyone’s system is a little different based on different technologies. I have chose to “borrow” as much as possible from cmc0619. I am pretty close to finished but just getting caught up in scope creep but loving every minute of it.

You might want to check out the Intellivalve actuators, they are more expensive but when we figure out their 485 interface the rumor is that you can preprogram 5 positions. Until them I am just using a pre set time to move them to different positions.

We love sharing ideas and offering feedback on other peoples work.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Welcome to the rabbit hole...

Everyone’s system is a little different based on different technologies. I have chose to “borrow” as much as possible from cmc0619. I am pretty close to finished but just getting caught up in scope creep but loving every minute of it.

You might want to check out the Intellivalve actuators, they are more expensive but when we figure out their 485 interface the rumor is that you can preprogram 5 positions. Until them I am just using a pre set time to move them to different positions.

We love sharing ideas and offering feedback on other peoples work.
I'll be using an Allan Bradley PLC and VFD for pump control with an Automation Direct HMI touch screen with remote access. I have some 485 experienced but don't plan on using it. I already have the actuators so like you, I will use a timer to get the positions I want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.