Jun 19, 2020
Cleveland OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, it’s deck time…

I’m looking to dig 7 of my post holes around the pool. 12” diameter, 44” deep. The edge of the hole is about 14” from the pool.
Some holes are spaced out, others have only 6-10” or so of soil between them.

Am I asking for trouble that close to the wall? Or should I be safe at that distance. I obviously don’t want a catastrophic collapse of the ground below. For what it’s worth, it’s clay under me all the way to figi…

You should be fine. Dig your holes carefully and compact your backfill. One hole and post at a time while working next to the pool. Don't open a hole or leave a hole open if there risk of rain. Don't leave the hole open longer than needed.

Looks like a nice deck.

You should be fine. Dig your holes carefully and compact your backfill. One hole and post at a time while working next to the pool. Don't open a hole or leave a hole open if there risk of rain. Don't leave the hole open longer than needed.

Looks like a nice deck.
Can’t… needs to be inspected. So, all holes dug before the inspector comes out.

You could probably optimize your post layout and eliminate a couple of those close holes by using longe r beams. If it were me I would only have 3 posts next to the pool. Maybe 4.

Your spans aren't that long for a double 2x10 beam.

You could probably optimize your post layout and eliminate a couple of those close holes by using longe r beams. If it were me I would only have 3 posts next to the pool. Maybe 4.

Your spans aren't that long for a double 2x10 beam.
That was my thought as well - but I had issue with the cantilever length… I’m within a few inches of what is allowed with the 45 joists. Basically, I have a 6.5’ span (giving credit for the cantilever past the beam), on the right side so the max I can go is 1.5ft. Removing posts essentially pulls the ends of the beams out, which requires more cantilever length than I have.

With my lousy clay, I also needed that many posts to hit my 12” footing size. If I reduced them (and perhaps joined the close posts into a single footing) I would require 16” ones, which would also get my holes closer to the pool

we liked the look of the not-square edges more than a box…

My deck was never inspected so I was a little generous with some of my cantilevers. I also have very rocky soil so I wasn't too worried about footings.

Try to work with your inspector. I'm sure glad I'm not the one digging all those frost depth post holes.

I hear you on the not square deck. I molded mine to fit the land and pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.