Building a new pool - where do I start? (Oceanside, CA)

DonJulio

Apr 27, 2019
Oceanside
We’re closing on a beautiful home in Oceanside, CA and the first thing we want to do is install a pool - but we’re not sure where to start (other than googling “pool builders Oceanside”).

I did some research online and found this site being referred to multiple times so here I am. I did a little searching here and didn’t find an already existing thread about the pool building process for beginners, but I may be blind - forgive me if this is a question that gets asked all the time.

Anywho, onto our specific situation, which is a little unique...

In this new home there used to be a pool, but the realtor told us it was an issue with it leaking and the previous owner didn’t want to fix it so they just filled the pool in. However, the back yard is in two levels with stairs going from the top, where the pool was, to the bottom, where grass is. The broker at the open house didn’t have a full understanding of what the problem was, and he seemed to indicate the issue was that the pool was cracked and leaking which was causing it to slide down from the upper to the lower level. We don’t have the full details on exactly what the issue was, so it may have been bigger, but we’re getting that information as soon as we can. IF it was just a leak, is an easy fix to just put in a fiber glass shell where the old pool was? At the high end I’m guessing we’d need to build some kind of support to stop the pool from sliding down, which would likely be extremely costly.

If we didn’t want to do that then we could simply put in an above ground pool on the lower level of the yard, but that’s not as nice as we’d like.

Alternatively, I’m imagining we could just do some major construction to more or less build a new pool from scratch, and make it exactly what we want. Our dream would be to put a jacuzzi on the top level that waterfalls over into the bottom level pool. We have $50k set aside that we could dedicate to this, but I’ve got NO idea if that’s enough, more than enough, or simply not possible etc., which is why I came here. :)

SO! Onto the questions...
-Based on the above, what do you recommend our next steps should be? (assuming I have given enough information)
-What are the steps in figuring out a solution? (Other than getting info from the seller) Geo engineer? Pool Builder? City permits?
-Any other information that would be helpful for you all to know?
-any recommendations for builders in the Oceanside/SoCal area?

Thanks in advance!98980

Welcome to TFP.

I don't think $50K is going to go far in So Cal for building a pool. You will find many threads for Owner Built pools to stay within that type of budget.

I think you need a structural engineer to assess your situation. And a lot of investigation as to what is existing in that area. In general pools have to built on undisturbed soil. When filled with water they weigh over 100,000 lbs. Disturbed soil will compact and shift under the weight of a pool. From what you describe there were already issues in that area. Getting the structure that can support the pool in that area alone may bust your budget.

@bdavis466 has worked in that area and may have some recommendations for you.

If a pool is doable within your budget we will try and help you find a way. We are pool friendly here.

Reactions: kimkats
Hi and welcome,

Your best bet is to talk to a reputable Builder in the area that can visit the site and give a proper assessment. There are a lot of geotechnical issues in coastal southern California which is likely the culprit for the previous pool's demise.

I suggest looking into Fusion Pool and Spa. They're a quality Builder that serves your area.

www.fusionpoolandspa.com
(855) 562-7665

Reactions: kimkats
We are an owner builder in South OC, and though we had a large retaining wall and some hardscape/bbq, we are well over $100k. And that was MUCH cheaper than anything we were quoted. Size matters on pricing, but even finishing your own subcontractors if your project isn’t in a flat easy area I think you’ll get quotes at a much higher cost. Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.