Builder put wrong umbrella holders in for baja shelf, can they be replaced?

YolkyPalky

Jun 23, 2020
San Diego
Hi all! New member here with a question.

My PB recently finished my in ground pool. It's 42'x20', not including a spa and 9'x18' baja shelf.

Today I tried to place new umbrellas in the umbrella holders I had built into the baja shelf. It did not go well. The holders only go down like 4 inches! I believe my builder installed the wrong umbrella holders. I think generally they are 7 1/2 inches deep. At four inches, the umbrellas can't stay straight up, or even close to it.

So my question, how much of a problem would it be to take out the shallow depth umbrella holders and put in the correct, deeper umbrella holders? I think the guy who cored out the shotcrete went deep enough. I think another guy just bought the wrong size fittings for the hole. But the pool is already done, filled with water, and the umbrella holders plastered in. Can they be yanked out and replaced if need be?

Thanks.

If the core hole is deep enough, one can probably drill out the bottom of the holder to reach the bottom (but then that may cause a leak). Not easy to replace them I don't believe other than drilling them out with a hole saw or something like it. It's on your builder so have him/her fix it.

Do you have room for a small table on your ledge? This in pool table from ledge lounger is meant to be used with the in shelf umbrella holders and would give you more than the few inches of support you are missing (plus you dont have to mess with plaster, worry about leaks, etc.).

If that works for you, I would push your builder to buy you one of those as it sounds like the easiest solution for all. Heck, maybe he will even throw in one of their umbrellas.

Reactions: S S
Do you have room for a small table on your ledge? This in pool table from ledge lounger is meant to be used with the in shelf umbrella holders and would give you more than the few inches of support you are missing (plus you dont have to mess with plaster, worry about leaks, etc.).

If that works for you, I would push your builder to buy you one of those as it sounds like the easiest solution for all. Heck, maybe he will even throw in one of their umbrellas.

this seems like a great solution!

Hi everyone, I recently had a Latham fiberglass pool, spa and sun shelf installed. Unfortunately, the sun shelf umbrella sleeve is only 1.25" in diameter. 1.5" diameter is the standard for a umbrella. After hours of searching, I only found 2 umbrellas that can fit and both are aluminum and made in China. They won't work in a salt water pool with lots of wind on the FL gulf. Latham customer support has pushed me to the dealer/installer. The problem is that Latham installed the umbrella sleeve. Thoughts on how to fit a standard umbrella pole or get Latham to do something? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.