Build up “blotches” in plaster

Brianbinbigd

Oct 21, 2019
Dallas, tx
I’m on the tail of my new build and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this same issue. My pebble sheen plaster looks great for the most part except that it has a few areas that have what look like build up spots. PB is telling me it will get better w brushing and chemicals. I’m not seeing any sign of change after a few day’s of brushing. Thoughts?

Welcome to TFP.

It sounds you have excess plaster cream on areas of the pebble that were not adequately exposed by the acid wash. Your brushing and chemicals will not expose the pebbles more. An experienced plasterer will know how to acid wash areas to dissolve the cream and expose more pebble. We have also seen inexperienced people botch an acid wash, dissolve too much plaster to where the pebbles came loose, and ruined a pebble finish. Be cautious based on your PB's answer to you.

Thanks for the response. My main PM, which hasn’t been the greatest communicator, told me today that he thinks it could be plaster dust that was built up. Your description of cream seems to make more sense is more what it looks like.

Is there a way to fix it? Again, my project manager told me that sweeping will help so I’m guessing he either doesn’t know or doesn’t want to do the fix. It only a couple of small areas but it’s 3 spots in the spa that stick out badly when the led is on at night.

Thanks for the response. My main PM, which hasn’t been the greatest communicator, told me today that he thinks it could be plaster dust that was built up. Your description of cream seems to make more sense is more what it looks like.

Is there a way to fix it? Again, my project manager told me that sweeping will help so I’m guessing he either doesn’t know or doesn’t want to do the fix. It only a couple of small areas but it’s 3 spots in the spa that stick out badly when the led is on at night.

Like I said above acid can dissolve the plaster. You have to decide if you want to risk it for cosmetics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.